river banks ? any good ?

R

rusty nails

i know that one place from another is like apples and oranges - but was wondering if anybody has ever done any good on a typical river bank - i live close to where the erie canal locks were - the actual lock thats left is hunted weekly - i found all the leftover strohs cans - but will go back this fall -
i was thinking about hitting the not so traveled banks - maybe a fisherman from long ago or a couple lovebirds dropped some coinage ??? ???

Upvote 0

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I would definitely give it a try . Look for any old swimming holes @ there too. check for rope swings or old tree houses / ladders nailed into trees. Check the shallow water Should be coins /stuff inthere too. Sand bars are a good place to find relics /bottles. I've pulled a few out before I got my detector. Anyplace where people have been is a good place to hunt. Are you in Ohio or PA? Post what you find. Treasure awaits

Ace villav

OP
OP
R

rusty nails

ACE - thanks for the comeback - i live near the border - from pa - now in ohio - basically lived 2 minutes away from the river - grew up on it - i just think about all the peeps over the years going up those banks for this and that - i found a whole box of flies one day floating down the river - wasnt even going to pick it up - (plastic cont. homemade fly box) we used to wade it and pluck the bobbers from the tree snags where people would lose them and they would float down river -
u see you just gave me a great reason to get back there - and revisit my teen years - thanks ace
i know of a nice sand mound also ------- Shenango River Sewer Rats ----- R HUGE !!!
LBP ;D ;D ;D

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would not hurt to try, maybe do some research as to whether people might have frequented a specific spot. GL. HH

P

PrizmIV

Be ready to fig up all kinds fishing weights!!!!! I have done it and found pound after pound of thise stupid things. The worse thing is they register as dime and penny!

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
I would try it, maybe do some research on your area, for example I have found a couple areas, I have not detected them but, they are areas I have found after doing research that used to be the local bathing areas in the river back in the 1800's. And you can bet that all rivers had somekind of trader,pirate,spanish,indian,go down them. Another example back in 1955 on the banks of the mississippi a boy found a few gold bars on the shore-water line, came from a sunken riverboat. After doing research I have found rivers to have had alot of activity in the early years, they were like the freeways of today, people geting in wrecks and going ashore. Many gohst towns, camps, mills, Lots of places located on the rivers edge that show no sign today.You just have to get lucky and find the right spot, and thats always a challenge when you cant see whats in the ground he he. Good luck on your next hunt.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
There was alot of activity on lake Erie. I knew a guy on the net that lived by lake Erie. This guy was a so called pro. He talked with me about the times to hunt lake Erie. He said the fall time was the best. He also said all of the silver coins he finds are trapped in the crackes of this gray material like clay that's under the sand. I don't know the specifics on exactly where he hunts.

If I lived by Erie witch I will go up a few times a summer I would hit tons of shore lines every where. Your bound to stumble onto a good section not being hunted by anyone. The guy told me about seated coins and war relics from the war of 1812 being found.

It couldn't hurt at all. I would hunt them hard if I lived near them. The obvious spots on lake Erie are hunted almost to death. I don't know the area well enough yet to start venturing to other spots. One thing I didn't like about hunting lake Erie is there is a ton of this washed up aluminum pieces. They are very smooth and are really small. It makes tough for looking for gold rings some.

Wish you luck. It's worth a hunt for sure. Keep us posted.

HH Jeremy

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Coo I grew up a stones throw from the olentangy in Columbus Spent as much time as I could there. Before during and after school ;D . Did the same stuff you did fished built forts basically a river rat. Nothing was better. Did the same at the Hocking when I went to OU. Good luck Hope to see posts of what you found. Now you've got me inchn to toss on the old shoes and get back to the river Later

AceVillav

OP
OP
R

rusty nails

u old river rat you - i totally tennis shoed it to - never wore waders - that was for wimps - would never think of fishing in a lake - if it ran 2" deep i would fish it - also used to tube , ride logs down in when you could bust a good one loose - there aint nothing like feeling that no nothingness under your feet while going down the river say in 12' water - oh yah - my swimming skills - absolutely stunk ;D no kidding ------ our science teacher told us in 10th grade that we were going to light up like xmas trees someday because we would open our eyes under water to try to see what was under there :o Man if you go - BE SAFE - watch out for all the weirdos - thats all that hang out there now ~ ! LBP live from the shores of the Shenango River............

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
LBP... seems like I remember from history class (and I may be wrong) that the barges were pulled along the Erie Canal by men and mules. If they did, wouldnt the paths still be there ? That would seem like a place to hunt to me.
~Kansas~

jegsmith

Oct 28, 2005
what kind of detectors are you all using for riverbank hunting? i haven't bought one yet (maybe christmas), but i've always thought the riverbanks and shallow water areas would be good hunting...

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Iv detected along the sides of small canals, there is a ton of coins and fishing tackle. I think lead fishing weights are worth some money if you get enough, either for fishing again or for melting down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread