• P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 642
Upvote 0

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know for sure but they look like some kind of firing pin. It has been a long time since I have found a civil war bullet so I am not quite sure any more but I think that the South had two rings around the bullet and the North had three. Did you know that there was a Wisconsin unit that in error was issued gray uniforms and was sent to the south. They had a heck of a time getting there and had to return for blue uniforms.

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Look like civil war bullets to me! 2 - ringers I believe. Nice find. Not sure what the other two things are.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

merg240

Greenie
Jul 1, 2008
Northern KY
I'm glad I found at least one bullet, even though it isn't in perfect condition. Today was definitely a good enough first day to get me hooked... 8)

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
I'm certainly no expert but they do look like CW era bullets to me!
Have you checked out what may be inside each hole? Sometimes a star or something other.

The other two items appear much too large to be firing pins for any rifle or shotgun I'm familiar with.
Isn't one slightly larger than the other?

I came back, after studying those two items in question.
I'm guessing but they could be part of a bullet making/sizing apparatus? The ram?
They certainly are close to the same diameter as the bullets?

Nice finds!
GRB

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones with the flat nose tip look like .45/70 slugs to me. As always, you need to weigh them and measure the diameter for us "experts ::) " to be sure. Monty

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
The one on the left looks a little like a Gardner.. but hard to tell.. the other looked more like Sharps?? but not quite right!.. So maybe the 45.70 answer is right.. What is the caliber??
I have seen the other things some place???? Brass tips on a wooden rod... but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw them!!! I'm on my first cup of coffee.. so still warming up...

MonkeyBoy

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...bullets still in wood (the chunk) are worth a lot more then when they are pried out....

neat finds

HH
-GC

southernbandit

Mar 21, 2003
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
I'm not sure about any of it, but the items on the left look like some kind of weights for a scale if there not hollow. :-\
But I think Monkeyboy :wink: was on to something, If they are hollow they might be a ram rod pieces.
Keep a diggin!
Bandit

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Lostlake,
Nice bullets. Can't help with the id, but that is cool. If your buddy wants to find some bullets, I can take you guys over to the spot where I found my big 3 ringer. I am sure we could pop a few from the ground over there.
Give me a ring,
Jon.

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
If you can measure and weigh the projectiles I can give you a better answer. Just from "scaling" the finger width and the bullet they look to be around .35 to .45 in diameter. I do not believe them to be CW, but late 19th century to 20th century cast lead projectiles. The two grooves hold a waxy lubricant that keeps the bullets from "leading" or lead fouling the barrel. I have seen the pointy brass things some where before. Maybe a type of blunt archery point for target practice.

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet those are .44-40 revolver/rifle bullets. The flat nose is a dead giveaway that they were intended for use in a tube magazine rifle like a Winchester.
I've seen those brass things before as well, but I'll be jiggered if I can remember where......I don't think ramrod tips though.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
The pointy things look like the replaceable tips for a centering punch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions