watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How true this is. . . especially if you metal detect.

For the past month, I've been watching this 90-year-old park that's been scheduled for
renovation with new paver walkways, flower gardens, etc., so when I saw all the construction
equipment and workers pulling up some of the flag-stone walkways the other morning, my
heart skipped a few beats and thoughts of old silver danced in my head.

DSC_3652.JPG

After imagining the potential finds at this park, the realization set in that I was all dressed
up but nowhere to go. You see, there's a written park district ordinance in our town that
ALLOWS you to metal detect. . . but not dig :tard: Undaunted by this regulation, I headed
over to the park district office and spoke with an assistant to the park director.

I asked her as long as you're tearing up the landscaping anyway, why not metal detect the park
to see what's there before it gets covered up for who knows how long. She agreed and said she
would speak with her boss and would call me back with a final answer.

Later that afternoon, she called and said I would be allowed to hunt (and dig! ;D) during off hours
UNTIL barrier fencing around the park was installed. . . which would give me about 1-1/2 evenings
to hunt. Even though this is not a lot of time to hunt an area, it's more than I had expected :)

I could hardly wait for the construction workers to finish for the day so I could start my hunt.

4:30PM. . . Workers were still there so I run a few errands (honey-do list)

5:30PM. . . Workers STILL there ::) (who are these guys trying to impress?)

5:30PM – 6:45PM. . . Dinner :coffee2:

7:00PM. . . It's SHOWTIME 8). . . let the hunting begin!

Question:
How many times have you hunted a new site that you though would be KILLER and it produced
WAY less than expected? . . . no reason, just wondering ::)

I've spent two evenings out at this park and only covered about 1/4 the area.

My finds so far, include numerous modern clad. . . maybe 15 coins (not shown),
two early Wheats (1918 & 1937), two 30.06 shells, and a rather morbid looking
.925 silver coffin (my weirdest silver ever).

DSC_3653.JPG

I figure I have maybe one more evening before the barrier fence
goes up. . . the stakes are already in the ground and the clock is ticking.

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad they gave you the green light to dig!!! Great finds :thumbsup:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tale - and finds, thanks watercolor.

If you Google Images 'silver coffin pendants' there's all sorts.
I haven't managed to find any deep significance yet (I'm about 5'6" down so far) to the wearing of one, other than the contemporary Goth thing.

How deep was it?
Mike

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Thanks for sharing the info on the site, Mark. With the age of that park and the surrounding homes, I was surprised to see how little it had to offer, even taking into consideration my meager skills with the new detector... I guess you just never know.

Glad to see you got some silver & a couple of nice wheats. That coffin is nice.

I should take my wheelbarrow over there and fill it up with aluminum cans to recycle. That would probably buy a bunch of batteries! ;D

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments everyone!

trikikiwi said:
Great tale - and finds, thanks watercolor.

If you Google Images 'silver coffin pendants' there's all sorts.
I haven't managed to find any deep significance yet (I'm about 5'6" down so far) to the wearing of one, other than the contemporary Goth thing.

How deep was it?
Mike

Thanks kiwi. . . I think you're correct on the "Goth" thing. . . it was only about 2" or 3" deep so I don't think it was there too long.

kimsdad said:
Thanks for sharing the info on the site, Mark. With the age of that park and the surrounding homes, I was surprised to see how little it had to offer, even taking into consideration my meager skills with the new detector... I guess you just never know.

Glad to see you got some silver & a couple of nice wheats. That coffin is nice.

I should take my wheelbarrow over there and fill it up with aluminum cans to recycle. That would probably buy a bunch of batteries! ;D

Neil, after talking with a few residents who live next to this site, the village has re-landscaped this park a couple of times. . . with that being the case, you never know WHAT you'll find :D

Take care & HH!
watercolor

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Those construction workers seem to work longer when the weather is good. It must have seemed like a lifetime for you ;D

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
Arm yourself with bug spray and a flashlight and a rain slicker if you have to!!!! don't let anything stop you!!!! hit that puppy with all you got and good freakin luck!!!! QUICKSILVER(appletree)

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply put, there has to be something there, just keep hunting. Around here sites like that don't appear too often. Good luck!
Carl

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is pretty unusuall WC....The old coffin is a first for me,but .925,I'll take it. :thumbsup:

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Watercolor :thumbsup:
Hope you find lots more there.

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merf said:
Nice finds Watercolor :thumbsup:
Hope you find lots more there.

QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
Arm yourself with bug spray and a flashlight and a rain slicker if you have to!!!! don't let anything stop you!!!! hit that puppy with all you got and good freakin luck!!!! QUICKSILVER(appletree)

Well, this place just turned back into a pumpkin this morning. . . the fences are up so now it's legally "off limits".

On the bright side, the park assistant said she would keep me informed when they plan to tear-up other parks
so those will be fair game.

crazyjarhead said:
Nice finds. Those construction workers seem to work longer when the weather is good. It must have seemed like a lifetime for you ;D

That's the truth :D

civilman1 said:
That is pretty unusuall WC....The old coffin is a first for me,but .925,I'll take it. :thumbsup:

I found one similar on google for $72.00. . . without the chain,
Last night I just took a closer look at the chain that was attached to this piece. . . It's marked 14K :thumbsup:

Thanks again everyone for the comments!
watercolor

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Watercolor, that tearout section should yield some nice silvers and other oldies. You must go back, buddy, and hit it with the extreme fever.

I have no doubt that you'll be posting some goodies very soon from there!

Kyle

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on the wheat pennies!! Good job on the bizarre silver coffin! Hey at least it is silver!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread