Early morning 4th of July hunt yields a silver and a wheatie

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Good morning, Tnetters!

Happy 4th of July!

I awoke this morning at 5:30am and couldn't get back to sleep, so around 6am I got out of bed wondering what the heck I'm gonna do this early in the morning. Starbuck's was first on the list, but before I did that I had to feed the dogs. So out to the backyard I go and noticed how pretty the sky looked this morning amid the Italian Cypress trees in my front yard:

morning.jpg

On my way to Starbuck's it struck me that I could do a bit of detecting. The wife was still asleep and, being the 4th of July, we really had no plans to go anywhere soon. So I head over to one of the schools where a construction crew had torn away the old concrete and steps leading into the building. I managed one 1926 wheatie, which, if the grass had still covered it, would have been down about 10 inches. But because they had torn out the grass I managed it at 5 inches.

I then decided to hit an easement I had been eyeing for a while. I've avoided this easement because I knew there was a ton of trash–and there was!–but decided I needed to give it a shot anyway. Glad I did, as I pulled a beautiful 1941 Merc. Here's the two together:

coins.jpg

Back on Monday I went back to an old lot where I had previously pulled out a few wheaties from the forties. Last time I was there a young gal came up to me and introduced herself and asked me if I could try to locate her mother's gold ring. Apparently, they live next to the lot and one night her mother got mad at her father and threw the ring at him. Needless to say, it went into the field and was lost. I could not find it then but promised I would come back when they disced the field. Well, that happened on Monday, and one of the gals I work with is a friend with this girl and she called us at work to tell me the field had been disced. So back I went. I didn't find her mother's ring, but I did find this humongous ring that looks to be gold plated over silver plated over junk metal. I have no clue if that's even possible but that's what it looks like:

ring1-1.jpg

Inside the band was an adjusting band. Whoever wore it had fingers too small for the ring itself:

ring2.jpg

And here it is on my pinky finger. I can't imagine who would have wore this thing with such small fingers, LOL.

ring3.jpg

On another note, I'm heading out Sunday for our annual vacation. We're heading up to an old mining town in the Sierra Nevadas for a few days. Hopefully I'll come back with a gold nugget, silver coins or chinese coins. :) :) :)

Ray

Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Interesting ring you have found there, Ray. It sure is gaudy!

Good luck on your vacation. Hope you find something that will make your eyes pop out of your head!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ugotit22 said:
lol ugly ring, but nice merc

;D ;D ;D Nice start with starbucks. That stuff is like motor oil compared to my cheap instant. I do starbucks once in a while but expensive

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not Too Shabby Ray.....Too bad that Baby wasn't the real McCoy through out....Nice dig's and sweet Silver fnd. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks, everyone!

Dan, yes that's the word I was trying to think of to describe that ring...gaudy!

Ray

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is based on a platted Viking 9th-10th century solid Gold ring!

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
That ring is based on a platted Viking 9th-10th century solid Gold ring!

Wha???? More details, Crusader!!!

Ray

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting