Pabst Match Safe from the Brick Howse

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I washed this up after doing some coin cleaning with muh girlz: Olive Oyl and Dawn (the Indian is an 1899). I carefully opened up the top / mouth of the Pabst thing with a screwdriver so I could wash the dirt and veggie matter out.
I'm about 100% sure this is a match safe (see striking surface on bottom). You can see the pivot for the lid, which is missing. There's a small rivet sort of thing just visible 2/3 of the way down on the pivot side.
The color looks almost like Army olive-green or -drab. It could be WW2, but it looks more WW1-ish to me. Maybe the dating of the 'trademark' hop leaf logo will clear that up.

I've seen match safes on Antiques Roadshow, but unless I find the lid this one is incomplete. Maybe there's a Pabst museum that'll pay big bucks? I take back the joke about PBR = horse pee..

Attachments

• DSCF0459crop50.jpg
    DSCF0459crop50.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,667
  • DSCF0461crop50.jpg
    DSCF0461crop50.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,698
  • DSCF0456crop50.jpg
    DSCF0456crop50.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,665
  • DSCF0457crop40.jpg
    DSCF0457crop40.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,661
  • DSCF0460crop40.jpg
    DSCF0460crop40.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,656
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Find for sure...I like it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Admiral de Salee

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Thanks, Rae. Who knows, this thing could be the Belle of the Ball for today's stuff. It's got to be worth more than the '99 I.H.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really awesome find. I LOVE stuff like that. I'd take something interesting like that any day over just another IH. WTG!!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers and HH,
B

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's pretty cool Admiral,hopefully you can go back and find the lid......Congrat's and Good Luck!!!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Unusual find there Admiral. Have not seen one of these posted on this site before, but I could be wrong. Has a Pap's before, not that bad but would not walk a mile for one...LOL.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,253
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,248

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I found a Budweiser match safe that has the date "Dec, 7, 1897" around the rim where your "patent applied for" is located, so I would say that it's the same time frame. Love the booze related stuff! Go back and see if the rest is there.

OP
OP
Admiral de Salee

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
rtde3 said:
OK I found the post I was telling you about. It was T net member Jason in TN that told me his friend collects anything PBR. So maybe PM him. Good Luck! Heres the link to the post http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,180919.0.html

I was surprised to see this post 'bubble to the surface' again.
Thanks for the link, SharkPitMan. I'll check it out (as well as the other site link that was kindly provided). TimC may already have visited the Pabst site I found when this find was freshly-posted. I didn't even know the Milwaukee Brewery had closed. It stayed shuttered for a while, then someone bought the property, went in and found a trove of amazing museum-quality stuff.
When I was, ahh, 'active', I was a Stroh's drinker. "Fire-brewed", they said. 'Beer with the piss boiled out of it' was what we said.

The site owner lady has the match safe right now. If I find Jason's friend or some other interested party, I'm guessing she would sell. I couldn't find the lid on subsequent searches.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Nice find!! "World's Greatest Beer"?? Hmm.. that might be a little over stating things!!!! :-) Good find none the less...

MB

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aye Aye, Admiral,

When I said I worked there, I should have said that I was employed there. Out of site, behind one of the beer storage tanks, was a door that opened into an underground tunnel. The tunnel had walls made of brick, arched overhead. Floor dirt. Off to the sides were arched openings to large underground storage rooms for beer storage before refridgeration. Two of the rooms were still open, several others were filled and sealed. The rooms were under the main parking lot. If they are still there, THAT is were I would like to hunt, Sir.

TimC

douglas45

Apr 28, 2009
IF ANYONE IS INTERS I HAVE A MATCH SAFE PABST BEER IN GOOD COND FOR SALE FOR A GOOD PRICE LET ME KNOW I CAN SEND PICTURES

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread