Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

Hi all,

I passed by a church soccer field yesterday and had my detector in the car, so I decided to check it out for a while..I found about $6 in clad, and also came across a coin that I thought was a silver quarter (even though my detector read it as a penny-dime signal). And in a church field too! Hmmmmmm..

DOG1.jpg

DOG2.jpg

DOG3.jpg

Before I left I thought to myself, "One more quarter.." About 10 minutes later I found 2 next to each other. On my way to the truck, I was swinging the coil between the black top area and a small playground..I got a signal that turned out to be a silver ring.

DOG4.jpg

Now for the biggest shock of all..I knew I was close to a school I hadn't been to in quite a while..it didn't have much of a field, but it did have a playground. I almost didn't go because I was tired after a couple of hours at the church, but I thought maybe I could check the wood chips..

It was a good thing I went there. As I walked to the back of the school (which was not visible from anywhere in the parking lot) I went down a small grade and noticed a dog at the bottom, totally out of view in a secluded area of the field. As I got closer to it, I noticed it was tied to a backstop post with about 1 foot of leash.

As I came closer it sat up and showed its teeth, so I started talking to it and held my hand out slowly. As I did, it began to whine and then lick my hand. I untied the leash and noticed the dog was malnourished and dehydrated. I decided I had to do something, so I ended up taking it home. It was afraid to get in my truck and afraid to come out, so I had to carry her in and out. She would flinch and duck down to the floor if I held my hands up, so more than likely it had been abused. How anyone could do this to an animal I'll never know. There's better ways to get rid of a dog than leaving it for dead tied up to a post, far away from where anyone could see it.

We found out she was female of a mixed breed..she has some Lab features, but I'm not sure what other breed is in there..she's all white with short, light gold ears and a little color along her back side and tail.

We got her home, fed her and gave her some water (needless to say she ate and drank like crazy). Then I gave her a good bath (she smelled like urine) and later introduced her to my other dogs (a Dachshund and a black Lab mix). Luckily they all got along exceptionally well. I guess we'll keep her, but it looks like all my clad from now on will go to the vet rather than another guitar :D

Anyway, here's some pics of her (that's me with her in the last photo). The first one is a little disturbing (seeing how skinny she is) but the others are cute..the techs at the animal hospital could feel all of her ribs, and every vertibrae and bone in her back and pelvic area. Her teeth, ears and paws all looked good. With proper care she should be okay and gain her weight back..it may take a bit longer to get her to trust people again but we're working on it.

DOG8.jpg

DOG7.jpg

DOG6.jpg

DOG5.jpg

Hope you all had a safe and happy weekend.
Nat

Upvote 0

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID
Re: An Afternoon Of Unexpected Finds - One's ALIVE

What a touching story! Hope your future finds are many (good ones). :icon_sunny:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

That's the best find I've read about yet!!!

You are truly a decent human, and you'll receive much deserved karma from this act of kindness in future hunts.

The dog is beautiful.

Jim

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd

pretty dog. you definitely did the right thing. :thumbsup:
don't know why anybody would do that to an animal. :'(
my dad did the same thing with a kitten he found a few years ago. somebody abandoned him in my grandmother's yard. my dad went over to mow the lawn and saw him hiding under some tall grass. he would have died if my dad hadn't found him. he was only a few weeks old and my sister had to bottle feed him. we still have him now. we named him minimitts because he looked like a mini version of our other cat, mr. mittens... he's not so mini anymore. lol ;D

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

I'm an animal lover and stories like yours make me extemely angry and emotional.
She's a beautiful animal and, a very lucky one too. I commend you "MR. NATMAN" for doing the right thing.
You'll be rewarded everytime you pet her. My wife and I have three dogs; Putko & Tollie, both from a shelter and Binkie,
who found us. Have you named her yet?

Oh, I forgot!
That Booby Coin is partial down payment from The Gods for upkeep for Miss Lucky! :)

GRB

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

What a nice looking little pup! Poor little Miss, who knows how long she was there or what life she used to live. Now at least she'll be given a second chance. Nice going!

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Thank you for being a good person. Oh yeah, nice finds too. :)
Take care, Mike in NJ

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nat,
Your a hero in my eyes, if theres one thing I HATE, its cruelty to animals.. you have saved that sweet hearts life and from the look on her face, she sure looks happy.. I am so glad you saved her, you will have a friend for life now.. and you have such a good heart.. thank you for doing this, rather then dumping her to a shelter, where alot of them end up being put down... Your a dam good man in my book Nat..

congrats on all you other finds, but the best was the dog in my book.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nat, WTG! Now what ya going to name her? Are you going to take suggestions from Tnet members?

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Nattie.....you've been my T-Net buddy for a long time now. I've always enjoyed your stories and looking at your treasures. You are one lucky guy........But this story is absolutely priceless and you are my biggest hero now! I have a pet sitting business and have always loved animals of all kinds. Your story has brought me to tears and I'm so glad that "fate" brought you to that beautiful girl! I just don't know what else to say. This is definitely worthy of Honorable mention for sure!

BTW.......Welcome to the "Heads and Tails" club!! :tongue3:

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

THANK YOU for the nice words, you guys are great :thumbsup:

We named her Tasha (she looks a lot like a dog I brought home from a park I worked at about 28 years ago).

Moonshadow said:
Your story has brought me to tears and I'm so glad that "fate" brought you to that beautiful girl! I just don't know what else to say. This is definitely worthy of Honorable mention for sure!

Thanks Moon, I mean that sincerely..funny how animals can bring out the best in all of us..the replies so far watered my eyes a bit too :'(

Thanks all.
Nat

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are a good man...too bad there are not more of you around....the other day I was on my way with 5 of my detecting club members to hunt a 4 acre plot that we were given permission to hunt ...on the way there I happened to look out the truck window and saw 3 little mixed breed puppies..someone had dumped them off by a bridge..by the time we turned around and got back we couldnt find them...we hunted the brush and just couldnt find them..we hunted for about an hour but no sign of them...hopefully someone stopped and picked them up before we got to them...way to go man...she looks like she is in good shape...must be fate that you happened along and found her...

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Hey Natman, she's a real cutie!!!

From one dog lover to another, things happen for a reason, and you were supposed to meet that dog. My hat's off to you for finding room in your heart & home for her. Yep, I agree, that was the find of the day!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Heart of Gold Nat.....Hopefully this will bring "pocket's full" !!!! :thumbsup:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All I can say is Our world needs more people like you.
Give him/her lots of love!
Brian

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

beautiful dog...you did the right thing by helping her out and her love for you alone will make up any amount of money you spend on her...
The heads/tails coin was neat...

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

THANK YOU again my friends.

kimsdad said:
From one dog lover to another, things happen for a reason, and you were supposed to meet that dog.

Ok, now I've got to bring this up..

There's another thing I didn't mention before..before I went down the little hill (where she was tied up) a car pulled up and a guy (maybe in his teens) got out of the passenger side..he was looking over at me, so I got uncomfortable and turned to walk towards him (but still at a distance). I started to go towards my truck to leave UNTIL I saw him get a basketball out of the car..he was just there to shoot some hoops! It was then I turned around to go toward the back of the school where the dog was. Can you believe that? First I almost didn't go there at all, then I almost left too early! If I hadn't seen him get the basketball out (and he would have just kept watching me) I would have left!

That said, I think you're right, my find doesn't appear to be accidental, does it?

Nat

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Update: My wife just called from the vet..all shots done..

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread