Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75
  1. #41
    us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    618
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date?

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy
    This one looks certainly like the Shallow N variety to me. The difference between the underside of the N in "One" and the N in "Cent" is pretty bold--and I'd say that the difference would be more pronounced with the photo taken dead-on in a well-lit environment. I would imagine that this variety is more difficult to distinguish on more heavily circulated examples.

    I'm curious to see what the other coin gurus have to say...


    Regards,


    Buckleboy

    Hopefully this is a little more visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beter angle.jpg 
Views:	3138 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	216243  

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #42
    us
    wolf pack!!!

    Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    4,554
    31 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Agien, that is one purtty penny
    Leave no stone unturned.

  4. #43
    us
    Jun 2007
    Southern Ohio
    Garrett GTP 1350
    32

    Re: Indian Head Key Date?

    Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Shallow "N" in CENT is scarce. I would add 25%-30% + to value of the final grade. This find, in my opinion, deserves the BANNER!
    I don't know anything about this variety, but if this is true I'd say you are looking at a $600 coin, even with it being out of the ground and cleaned. And that's assuming it would grade VF Details! It seems more like EF to me, but I am sitting in Outer Mongolia with no coin books such as Photograde to look at. If it were me, I would definitely send it in to ANACS. I've had so many coins come back in body bags from NGC and PCGS, that I'm pretty much done with them. ANACS is the "third tier", but they might just be the best company to work with. I've had nothing but good come out of sending coins to them. I sent a 1799 Heraldic Eagle Silver Dollar to them that I won off eBay, and they slabbed it and sent it right back. Go to their website and contact them - they'll send you a free kit in the mail which will include 50 coin flips and a bunch of submission forms. It's really simple to do. I know everyone here (including me) would be very curious to see the results. I also agree that this is banner material! Thanks for posting the reverse - this is one beautiful coin!

  5. #44

    Jul 2007
    central wa st
    garrett ace 250
    436

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    wow, nice find, absolute beautiful coin

  6. #45
    us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    618
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotta
    Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Shallow "N" in CENT is scarce. I would add 25%-30% + to value of the final grade. This find, in my opinion, deserves the BANNER!
    I don't know anything about this variety, but if this is true I'd say you are looking at a $600 coin, even with it being out of the ground and cleaned. And that's assuming it would grade VF Details! It seems more like EF to me, but I am sitting in Outer Mongolia with no coin books such as Photograde to look at. If it were me, I would definitely send it in to ANACS. I've had so many coins come back in body bags from NGC and PCGS, that I'm pretty much done with them. ANACS is the "third tier", but they might just be the best company to work with. I've had nothing but good come out of sending coins to them. I sent a 1799 Heraldic Eagle Silver Dollar to them that I won off eBay, and they slabbed it and sent it right back. Go to their website and contact them - they'll send you a free kit in the mail which will include 50 coin flips and a bunch of submission forms. It's really simple to do. I know everyone here (including me) would be very curious to see the results. I also agree that this is banner material! Thanks for posting the reverse - this is one beautiful coin!
    ANACS sounds like they are the easiest company to work with. I guess they are the ones I will go with in the future.


  7. #46
    us
    pezhead and md'er

    Apr 2008
    rhode island
    titan 1000 xd
    963

    Re: Indian Head Key Date?

    they came back in body bags? i don't understand... sweet ih... amazing that it came out of the ground. still wonderful looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotta
    Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Shallow "N" in CENT is scarce. I would add 25%-30% + to value of the final grade. This find, in my opinion, deserves the BANNER!
    I don't know anything about this variety, but if this is true I'd say you are looking at a $600 coin, even with it being out of the ground and cleaned. And that's assuming it would grade VF Details! It seems more like EF to me, but I am sitting in Outer Mongolia with no coin books such as Photograde to look at. If it were me, I would definitely send it in to ANACS. I've had so many coins come back in body bags from NGC and PCGS, that I'm pretty much done with them. ANACS is the "third tier", but they might just be the best company to work with. I've had nothing but good come out of sending coins to them. I sent a 1799 Heraldic Eagle Silver Dollar to them that I won off eBay, and they slabbed it and sent it right back. Go to their website and contact them - they'll send you a free kit in the mail which will include 50 coin flips and a bunch of submission forms. It's really simple to do. I know everyone here (including me) would be very curious to see the results. I also agree that this is banner material! Thanks for posting the reverse - this is one beautiful coin!
    my name is aimee and i'm from rhode island.  woonsocket area.
    GOT PEZ??
    OLDEST COINS
    1914 wheatie penny!!!
    1899 V nickel
    1917 merc!
    1965 washington quarter
    Half-?
    Dollar-n/a

  8. #47
    us
    Jan 2008
    NorthWest Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, and X-70
    4,731
    778 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    I looked at their site and still do not see what they charge..........what do they charge?

  9. #48
    us
    Apr 2006
    Portland, OR
    1,293
    3 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goes4ever
    I looked at their site and still do not see what they charge..........what do they charge?
    They list their prices under 'services'.

    To send in one coin it would be $19 plus shipping, or you could spend more if you wanted to get it back faster.

  10. #49
    us
    Hi, Hey, Hello

    Mar 2008
    Near Philly
    Minelab ETRAC
    437
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Shallow "N" in CENT is scarce. I would add 25%-30% + to value of the final grade. This find, in my opinion, deserves the BANNER!
    I gotta vote this one for BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! BANNER!!! as well

  11. #50
    us
    Jun 2007
    Southern Ohio
    Garrett GTP 1350
    32

    Re: Indian Head Key Date?

    Quote Originally Posted by pookie
    they came back in body bags? i don't understand... sweet ih... amazing that it came out of the ground. still wonderful looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotta
    Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Shallow "N" in CENT is scarce. I would add 25%-30% + to value of the final grade. This find, in my opinion, deserves the BANNER!
    I don't know anything about this variety, but if this is true I'd say you are looking at a $600 coin, even with it being out of the ground and cleaned. And that's assuming it would grade VF Details! It seems more like EF to me, but I am sitting in Outer Mongolia with no coin books such as Photograde to look at. If it were me, I would definitely send it in to ANACS. I've had so many coins come back in body bags from NGC and PCGS, that I'm pretty much done with them. ANACS is the "third tier", but they might just be the best company to work with. I've had nothing but good come out of sending coins to them. I sent a 1799 Heraldic Eagle Silver Dollar to them that I won off eBay, and they slabbed it and sent it right back. Go to their website and contact them - they'll send you a free kit in the mail which will include 50 coin flips and a bunch of submission forms. It's really simple to do. I know everyone here (including me) would be very curious to see the results. I also agree that this is banner material! Thanks for posting the reverse - this is one beautiful coin!
    Coming back in body bags means that the grading company decided not to slab it due to whatever reason. If you look in their fine print there are about 25 reasons why they might decide not to grade it. The lovely thing is that they take the same amount of time as if they are grading it, and they don't refund any of your money. You pay to ship it, return shipping, and grading costs, and then weeks later you get your coin back in a plastic flip that says, "Sorry." That's why a company like ANACS is so nice. They will almost always grade your coin and put it in a slab and just mark it their net grade and have "cleaned" or "corroded" or whatever also written on the tag. I've never ever heard of someone getting an ANACS coin back in a body bag, although there may be an extremely rare example. It's just a nice option. If you've ever gotten a coin back in a body bag, then you would know why ANACS is sometimes a much better way to go. Especially with a dug coin. A dug copper, I might add.

  12. #51
    us
    Jun 2007
    Southern Ohio
    Garrett GTP 1350
    32

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    By the way, congrats on making the banner! You deserve it with a coin like this.

  13. #52
    us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    618
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Wow... I never thought I would have anything end up on the banner. That is pretty awesome. Thanks

    Now I REALLY want to get back out there!

  14. #53
    us
    Mar 2008
    SE Pennsylvania
    Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite
    273
    43 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Great job on the banner buddy, you deserve it. Very Well Done.
    _________________ Thin_____________________ Blue__________________ Line _________________________________________

  15. #54
    us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    618
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    How much of an impact would a dug coin have on it's grade? I've read that a slabbed coin that was dug from the ground would have a designation of "environmentally damaged". If for example, another 1872 IH had the exact same amount of detail but was not dug graded XF, would my coin with the same exact detail then become at most F or VF?

  16. #55

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Holy smokes!!! Congrats on a fantastic rare IH, and a banner find at that.
    Beautiful coin. Good luck on the grading. Can't wait to hear the results.
    -MM-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Oldest U.S.copper-1847 Large cent *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button *Eagle Sword Belt Plate

  17. #56
    us
    Apr 2007
    Southern CA
    Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
    2,774
    2 times

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Quote Originally Posted by pjroo33
    How much of an impact would a dug coin have on it's grade? I've read that a slabbed coin that was dug from the ground would have a designation of "environmentally damaged". If for example, another 1872 IH had the exact same amount of detail but was not dug graded XF, would my coin with the same exact detail then become at most F or VF?
    Very nice coin!! I found an 1872 IH last year, but mine is not in as good shape as yours is.

    I think to get the most out of your coin, you should probably pay the fees/shipping to get it graded by ANACS. If you never think you'll sell it, then leave it as is. Remember, although your coin has amazing detail, that's only part of the formula that is looked at when a coin is graded. Because of the greenish patina/light corrosion marks on your coin, you might expect to get it back with an "environmental damage" caption on your slab. For a dug coin, though, your Injun is hard to beat.

    HH,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

  18. #57

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Congrats on the banner and it is a very nice 1872. In answer to your question, I honestly believe ANACS will label it CORRODED or Environmental Damage. I just looked thru untold dozens of previous ANACS slabbed 1872's on HERITAGE Auction website and many coins had that designation that were slabbed by them. They also used the word CLEANED on a lot of them. Yes, it knocked the auction price down considerably on them.

    I would go to the auction sites yourself and compare, and see how many 1872's in the archives have what designation on them, so you would not be surprised if you do decide to slab. I agree with Capt SE , no way would I send off and slab if no intention of ever selling it. Even then, I think I would compare unslabbed prices with slabbed and see if there is much of a difference for the 1872s. Sometimes it is better not to be slabbed, depends on the buyers and where sold.

    http://www.ha.com/ (Heritage Auction Galleries) I believe to see the full information you must join (FREE) I use it alot as a useful tool in IDing coins and determing rough value, especially since they seem to handle a lot of "environmentally damaged" coins.

    Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

  19. #58
    us
    Nov 2007
    South-Central Iowa
    Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
    426
    1 times

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    That is one awesomely sweet looking coin. Congratulations!!!

    Good luck and HH,

    Dr. Ace

  20. #59
    us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    618
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Congrats on the banner and it is a very nice 1872. In answer to your question, I honestly believe ANACS will label it CORRODED or Environmental Damage. I just looked thru untold dozens of previous ANACS slabbed 1872's on HERITAGE Auction website and many coins had that designation that were slabbed by them. They also used the word CLEANED on a lot of them. Yes, it knocked the auction price down considerably on them.

    I would go to the auction sites yourself and compare, and see how many 1872's in the archives have what designation on them, so you would not be surprised if you do decide to slab. I agree with Capt SE , no way would I send off and slab if no intention of ever selling it. Even then, I think I would compare unslabbed prices with slabbed and see if there is much of a difference for the 1872s. Sometimes it is better not to be slabbed, depends on the buyers and where sold.

    http://www.ha.com/ (Heritage Auction Galleries) I believe to see the full information you must join (FREE) I use it alot as a useful tool in IDing coins and determing rough value, especially since they seem to handle a lot of "environmentally damaged" coins.

    Is there any way to remove the green patina? Would they consider the coin "cleaned" for the peroxide bath or would they not have a way of knowing. I sometimes think the peroxide bath can cause the green patina and I wonder if it can be removed.

    Don

  21. #60

    Re: Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

    The peroxide did not cause the green patina, that was there before the dirt was removed, it just exposed what was underneath the dirt or deteriorating edge. I would leave be what has done, but make sure you do soak the coin in distilled or at least water that has stood for a day and then let dry thoroughly. I know of no safe way to remove the edge corrosion without possibly causing more of the edge to degrade in appearance.

    As far as saying cleaned by the company, I am not sure when they add that, since most ground founds sent to them is cleaned in their opinion. I have seen them marked improperly cleaned on silver coins that have been ground found and only water was rinsed over the coins to remove loose dirt. So, sometimes it is a no-win situation. The newer the coin, the tougher they are on grading for corrosion and other defects I believe.

    Some coins that are marked cleaned, obviously were put into something that lightened the appearance of the copper, and that I can understand.

    The way the companies grade our ground founds, sort of makes me lean more towards, never getting one graded and slabbed and just either sell on e-bay or with most auction companies I think they will take a coin as is (they attribute and grade for their catalog)and put it up for auction.

    I have never sent any of my coins to any of the services, and I have quite a few that would do quite well, so I have not experienced first hand the results of getting one slabbed. Since I am more into the colonials and early year large cents, the slabbing of the older coins is not as much desired by those collectors as one would think. I have had my rarest 1794 Large Cent appraised by Heritage(by e-mail photograph) and was not too happy with their language compared to a few other appraisals I got from actual collectors, including offers that were much higher than the estimate from Heritage.

    By joining Heritage Auction's after one year I was allowed to submit a photograph of one coin for a free appraisal, and that is why they appraised my 1794 S-19a Large Cent.

    Don

    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1872 indian head penny bold n

,

bold n indian head

,

difference between shallow and bold n in 1872 indian head coin

,

how to tell the difference between a bold n & a shallow n on an indian head cent penny

,

indian head differance between bold n shallow n

,

indian head penny bold n

,

photo of 1870 indian head cent shallow

,

shallow n indian head

,

what is the difference between 1872 indian head cent shallow n and bold n photo picture

,

what is the difference between bold and shallow on 1872 indian head

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3