Indian Head Key Date? (Updated Picture)

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to a home built in 1830 and the finds were few and far between. I think the property was previously detected. The only coin worth mentioning was the Indian head I found about an hour in. It was at about 6-8 inches. Maybe the last person there just looked over it or they didn't have a Sovereign GT and couldn't see that deep :wink: The condition looked bleak. I could tell the back of the coin was an IH but could not see any detail on the front of the coin. Well after a hot peroxide bath, the coin came out much better than I could have hoped. In fact, it's the best condition IH I've found to date. It's an 1872! I think this might be considered a "key date". Maybe someone on this board could verify whether it is "key" or not.

Also could anybody give me an idea of the grade of the coin?

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• indian front.jpg
    indian front.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4,088
Upvote 0
OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
The peroxide did not cause the green patina, that was there before the dirt was removed, it just exposed what was underneath the dirt or deteriorating edge. I would leave be what has done, but make sure you do soak the coin in distilled or at least water that has stood for a day and then let dry thoroughly. I know of no safe way to remove the edge corrosion without possibly causing more of the edge to degrade in appearance.

As far as saying cleaned by the company, I am not sure when they add that, since most ground founds sent to them is cleaned in their opinion. I have seen them marked improperly cleaned on silver coins that have been ground found and only water was rinsed over the coins to remove loose dirt. So, sometimes it is a no-win situation. The newer the coin, the tougher they are on grading for corrosion and other defects I believe.

Some coins that are marked cleaned, obviously were put into something that lightened the appearance of the copper, and that I can understand.

The way the companies grade our ground founds, sort of makes me lean more towards, never getting one graded and slabbed and just either sell on e-bay or with most auction companies I think they will take a coin as is (they attribute and grade for their catalog)and put it up for auction.

I have never sent any of my coins to any of the services, and I have quite a few that would do quite well, so I have not experienced first hand the results of getting one slabbed. Since I am more into the colonials and early year large cents, the slabbing of the older coins is not as much desired by those collectors as one would think. I have had my rarest 1794 Large Cent appraised by Heritage(by e-mail photograph) and was not too happy with their language compared to a few other appraisals I got from actual collectors, including offers that were much higher than the estimate from Heritage.

By joining Heritage Auction's after one year I was allowed to submit a photograph of one coin for a free appraisal, and that is why they appraised my 1794 S-19a Large Cent.

Don

Thanks for all the information. I personally am much more interested in the Colonials and LC's also but unfortunately, I never find them. I'm in the right locations... I guess it just hasn't been my time yet.
I am going to send it off to Anacs and see what kind of grade they put on it. I am interested in what damage labels they will slap on it. I looked over the Heritage Auction results for the same coin. I think the detail on this coin is higher than any they had at VF and was similar or better detailed than a lot of the EF coins they have sold in the past. I'm sure it will say corroded or Environmental Damage or something similar but I think the detail grade should be quite high. It doesn't really matter to me... I'm really just excited to have my first coin graded. I'll keep everybody posted on the outcome too. Again, thanks for all your info.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simply amazing Indian Head! Congrats on the Banner. :thumbsup:

This thread has been very informative.
Keep digging!

Mr. Cotta

Jun 27, 2007
Southern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
pjroo33 said:
Don in SJ said:
The peroxide did not cause the green patina, that was there before the dirt was removed, it just exposed what was underneath the dirt or deteriorating edge. I would leave be what has done, but make sure you do soak the coin in distilled or at least water that has stood for a day and then let dry thoroughly. I know of no safe way to remove the edge corrosion without possibly causing more of the edge to degrade in appearance.

As far as saying cleaned by the company, I am not sure when they add that, since most ground founds sent to them is cleaned in their opinion. I have seen them marked improperly cleaned on silver coins that have been ground found and only water was rinsed over the coins to remove loose dirt. So, sometimes it is a no-win situation. The newer the coin, the tougher they are on grading for corrosion and other defects I believe.

Some coins that are marked cleaned, obviously were put into something that lightened the appearance of the copper, and that I can understand.

The way the companies grade our ground founds, sort of makes me lean more towards, never getting one graded and slabbed and just either sell on e-bay or with most auction companies I think they will take a coin as is (they attribute and grade for their catalog)and put it up for auction.

I have never sent any of my coins to any of the services, and I have quite a few that would do quite well, so I have not experienced first hand the results of getting one slabbed. Since I am more into the colonials and early year large cents, the slabbing of the older coins is not as much desired by those collectors as one would think. I have had my rarest 1794 Large Cent appraised by Heritage(by e-mail photograph) and was not too happy with their language compared to a few other appraisals I got from actual collectors, including offers that were much higher than the estimate from Heritage.

By joining Heritage Auction's after one year I was allowed to submit a photograph of one coin for a free appraisal, and that is why they appraised my 1794 S-19a Large Cent.

Don

Thanks for all the information. I personally am much more interested in the Colonials and LC's also but unfortunately, I never find them. I'm in the right locations... I guess it just hasn't been my time yet.
I am going to send it off to Anacs and see what kind of grade they put on it. I am interested in what damage labels they will slap on it. I looked over the Heritage Auction results for the same coin. I think the detail on this coin is higher than any they had at VF and was similar or better detailed than a lot of the EF coins they have sold in the past. I'm sure it will say corroded or Environmental Damage or something similar but I think the detail grade should be quite high. It doesn't really matter to me... I'm really just excited to have my first coin graded. I'll keep everybody posted on the outcome too. Again, thanks for all your info.

Don in SJ had a ton of good information here. But, still, if it were me, I think I would still send it in. I just love getting them back slabbed. I like to get coins slabbed for my own collection, even if I'm never going to sell. It is a much better coin holder than coin flips or 2x2s or anything else really. Just make sure you take the advice of soaking it in distilled water.

I think you will be pleased with the results.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW WOW WOW WOW That is all I can say I have been collectong coins a long time, and I have to honestly say that that coin is hard to find with great a detail, I would def. say at least a VF-20 maybe a low XF. If you went to a coin show say the coin and stamp show in Raliegh NC and wanted to buy your coin in that grade "SLABBED" you would pay at least $525 or more.

Congratulations on your find! That is just Freakin Awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep hoping for that elusive 187X from the place I've been hunting. Congrats on your superb find and making the banner

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow!!! Nothing more to add from here... ;D jgas

Okay.........You rock!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread