crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this button last night at 6 inches from the 1836 homested I have started to hunt. It says, Scovill MF'G
Co. Waterbury.
Did some research and found it to be an 23mm overcoat button

Picture382.jpg

IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/crazyjarhead1/Picture420.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/crazyjarhead1/Picture382.jpg[/img]
Picture428.jpg

Picture420.jpg

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Found this Civil War Button last night.

excellant shape --- nice CW era "1850 / 1865 " GENERAL SERVICE" BUTTON -- 23 mm overcoat size and in great shape I must say lots of nice gilt left on it -- excellant chance that it was lost during or post war by a civil war vet see if any civil war era vets lived on the land homestead wize ---if so it might have come from his overcoat -- guys back then took home their uniforms after the war --a good heavy warm wool overcoat would be a popular item to have on a cold ohio winter day. --- Ivan

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm in the process of getting some platt maps of this town. I know from the realtor and the daughter by word of mouth the home was built in 1835. The platt maps I have ordered date 1865 for this area .(thanks for info Merf). There were alot of civil war vets living in this town and as I walk through the cemetery there are graves marked accordingly and graves before 1835. The Cushman family is one such large family that have a special monument in the cemetery made in honor of so many brothers that have served in wars up to at least Vietnam. Big name around here.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That button is BEAUTIFUL !

Congrats :thumbsup:
Nat

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I agree Natman that's a neat beautiuf button. Thanks for sharing such a great find of a button.

HH

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button! The soil up there must be pretty good for it to keep so much gilt. All the ones I find are green! That will look great in a display. Good luck finding more and keep posting!
Mike

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is Primo :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Great find CJH

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go crazy, Must be someone who was home from the Civil War. No CW battles in Ohio. Morgans Raid down by Cincinnati but that's it.

Where is the SILVER...hahhah

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SoreKneesDayton said:
Way to go crazy, Must be someone who was home from the Civil War. No CW battles in Ohio. Morgans Raid down by Cincinnati but that's it.

That seated half dime at the place across the street last week. I've been tearing this 1836 house up but no silver. Take that back. I found that 44 merc last week the same week I found the tribe of indian heads. Maybe my detector ain't finding them deep enough. I need to buy a better one LOL

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
SoreKneesDayton said:

That seated half dime at the place across the street last week. I've been tearing this 1836 house up but no silver. Take that back. I found that 44 merc last week the same week I found the tribe of indian heads. Maybe my detector ain't finding them deep enough. I need to buy a better one LOL

Yes, another detector is the answer...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread