GREAT AFTERNOON... PISTOL, BOWIE KNIFE AND BULLETS. NEED HELP!!!

L

lovedigging

I left work this evening about 5:00 and started my hour drive home. Five minutes up the road I was passing a place I just got to relic hunt and when I was going by something told me to go back. I'm glad I did... My brother is in Florida right now trying out his new Excalibur II and had called me this morning letting me know he had posted a couple things he found on his first hunt with his new machine. All day I thought about this and wished I was there so I did the next best thing. The first thing I found was a bullet I haven't dug before, I beleave it's a 54 sharps Ringtail. If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. ??? Next I dug two 69 bullets in the same hole and only a few yards away I dug the bowie knife. I could use some help on this also. It's 16" long and the blade is 11.5" On the way back to my truck I dug a couple more bullets and then I was almost to my truck when I found the pistol. I really need help with this, Is it Civil war or did someone shoot someone years ago and toss it out their window on their way down the road? I was pretty close to the highway when I found it :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Anyway, Enjoy the pictures and I hope some of my TN buddies can help me out...

Attachments

• r1.JPG
    r1.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • r2.JPG
    r2.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,303
  • r3.JPG
    r3.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,324
  • r4.JPG
    r4.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,312
  • r5.JPG
    r5.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,307
Upvote 0

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
Don't have a clue on the Pistolla, But that's a M-1 Garand Bayonet. The Garand Bayonets were "shortened" from 16 inches to 11 and a half for the Korean war. Tim

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Nice bunch of relics. The I.D. on the sharps is correct. The knife is most likely a WW2 bayonet and your pistol is fairly modern. The frame design looks similar to an Iver Johnson model also to a smith and wesson. All in all looks like a very good day to me.

"May there always be a road"

Les

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
WW1 springfeild or WW2 era garand bayonet (big and long / nasty critter )---- next a modernish 32 cal--(possible 38?) looking smallish "pocket" revolver (note its a cartridge type revolver ---not a cap and ball type which was the more common "blackpowder" civil war type pistols)-- these "pocket pistols" were highly popular in the post civil war era & early 1900's --- nice civil war era bullets by the way . the one looks like a 54 cal ringtail to me.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
WW1  springfeild or WW2 era garand bayonet  (big and long / nasty critter )---- next a modernish 32 cal--(possible 38?) looking smallish "pocket"  revolver (note its a cartridge type revolver ---not a cap and ball type which was  the more  common "blackpowder" civil war type pistols)-- these "pocket pistols" were highly popular in the post civil war era & early 1900's --- nice civil war era bullets by the way . the one looks like a 54 cal ringtail to me.

I'm thinking it's a WW1 or WW2 or perhaps Korean War era Garand Bayonet.  The pistol is similar to an Iver Johnson Cycle Works model--and it's short barrel makes it more "pocket-sized" than the CW era Colts and what not.  So it dates to the post-civil war era or perhaps the early 1900's.  That 54 cal is a Ringtail Sharps.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's a great Washington Arsenal minie there too. :)

Excellent finds!

-Buckleboy

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds :thumbsup:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the relics you found, anything that is a part of history is top shelf :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds bud! The .54 Ringtail Sharps are getting harder to find as are the Washington Arsenals so I would say that was a very good day of hunting. Congrats TCooper! :wink: :thumbsup:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
The pistol reminds me of an old British Bulldog we used to have. The newer versions of this pistol had round barrels but the one we used to own had a hex barrel on it.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great group of relics! I've found my share of old cap guns, but I'd love to find a real one like that.

I never heard of an octagonal barrel on a post-CW double-action revolver..check to see if it is indeed hexagonal (as mastereagle mentioned), then IDing it would be a little easier.

I'm not sure how old it is, but the amount of corrosion and deteriorated grips show it's been there a long time. As far as the story behind it, your find boggles the imagination that's for sure! And the bayonet is awesome too!

Nat

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Nice finds! I'm inclined to think the bayonet is closer to a .303 (Lee Enfield), as Africa mentioned, than a Garand. The pommel is the wrong shape and the bolt(s) inconsistent with that of a Garand's (as far as I can tell) :icon_scratch:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
Natman said:
Great group of relics! I've found my share of old cap guns, but I'd love to find a real one like that.

I never heard of an octagonal barrel on a post-CW double-action revolver..check to see if it is indeed hexagonal (as mastereagle mentioned), then IDing it would be a little easier.

I'm not sure how old it is, but the amount of corrosion and deteriorated grips show it's been there a long time. As far as the story behind it, your find boggles the imagination that's for sure! And the bayonet is awesome too!

Nat

As Mastereagle mentioned!!!!!!! excuse me! scroll up a little Natman and you will see I pointed it out first! WHY THE HELL DO I ALWAYS GET IGNORED!!!!!!

Wow calm down there QS! I said it looked like a HEXAGON barrel (6 sides) not octagonal (8 sides). No one is ignoring your posts.

I think it looks very close to a British Bulldog my dad used to have laying around the house that was made in the late 1800s. That's all.

S

Scots Gaelic

Congrats! Very nice finds! The bullets look like Civil War Era, the gun 1900's, and sorry to say, that is a bayonet, not a bowie.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a hexiagon barrel has 6 sides an octiagon barrels 8 sides ---- in latin hex is 6 and oct is 8 --iagon means sided --- the one guy pointed not that it was not a "normal" round barreled gun and used the term "octiagon" meaning 8 sided in doing so --the other fellow later said looked "hexiagon" or 6 sized -- true one side it was noy a "rpund barrel earier but hex and oct are two differant terms (8 or 6?) sized --they both made important points --one that its not a "round" barrel --the other that it is 6 sixed.---- peace every body ----Ivan

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ivan that was my point too, maybe not made as clearly as I would have liked. I simply didn't want Quicksilver upset.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread