Indiana Gold Panning and Geode Hunting earlier in the week.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy Mark invited me to go gold panning with him on Monday. It was my maiden voyage out with my gold pan and I'm thankful that he took the time to take me with him and be patient enough to teach how to do it as well.

The flooding has really torn up the creeks/rivers here, so it took us a decent while before we found a spot that was producing more than 1 or 2 flakes / pan. While we were searching I was finding lots of geodes as well. I plucked up a couple and brought them home. I could have easily brought home 50+, but to carry them up that giant hill would have been brutal. And then I would have a huge pile of rocks in my apartment. Not cool, haha.

07-07-08.JPG

07-07-08-2.JPG

07-07-08-3.JPG

07-07-08-4.JPG

As you can see, I won't be getting rich off of my gold, but it was nice to be able to get out and find some fairly close to where I live.

Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may not be getting rich, but I sure like the pictures. Especially the gold.

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
Cool spot!!

Take your detector next time and see if you can't find a nugget or two.

If you get back there and want to bring out a few more unopened geodes I'll take three or four for my kids to crack open.

Of course I'll pay for shipping and your time.

sparkymaster

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sparkymaster said:
Cool spot!!

Take your detector next time and see if you can't find a nugget or two.

If you get back there and want to bring out a few more unopened geodes I'll take three or four for my kids to crack open.

Of course I'll pay for shipping and your time.

sparkymaster

If I do get back out and find some more then I will send you some.

Some were pretty big, about the size of a person's head. I did crack open quite a few and they were all solid, sadly. The one I have pictured is the only one I could find that was hollow on the inside.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian,
That is so cool. I am from Northern Indiana and didn't realize they had gold or geodes. :icon_scratch: I love panning, and my son loves geodes. You did pretty darn good on the gold for sure. :thumbsup: I've tried panning here in the NC mountains numerous times, but only recovered a few flakes. One town we go to in the mountains has a rock, mineral, gem museum. My son buys and crack one or two geodes every time we go. He has a room full of those now. ;D
Those things aren't cheap, so some of those geodes could be the real gold. :thumbsup:
Great job,
MM

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Enjoyed your post. Looks like a beautiful area. Just wondering, are you bothered by mosquitoes in those woods?

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet gold and geode! WTG! And what's wrong with a big pile of rocks? :wink:

HH

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yardqueen said:
Enjoyed your post. Looks like a beautiful area. Just wondering, are you bothered by mosquitoes in those woods?

We did cover ourselves in OFF and were getting some bites at the top of the hills. But where we were panning was in a steep valley where you could see the humidity and bugs were not a problem at all.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michiganne said:
Sweet gold and geode! WTG! And what's wrong with a big pile of rocks? :wink:

HH

Once I purchase a home and get out of this tiny apartment then I will welcome the big pile of rocks, haha.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
My buddy Mark invited me to go gold panning with him on Monday. It was my maiden voyage out with my gold pan and I'm thankful that he took the time to take me with him and be patient enough to teach how to do it as well.

The flooding has really torn up the creeks/rivers here, so it took us a decent while before we found a spot that was producing more than 1 or 2 flakes / pan. While we were searching I was finding lots of geodes as well. I plucked up a couple and brought them home. I could have easily brought home 50+, but to carry them up that giant hill would have been brutal. And then I would have a huge pile of rocks in my apartment. Not cool, haha.

07-07-08.JPG

07-07-08-2.JPG

07-07-08-3.JPG

07-07-08-4.JPG

As you can see, I won't be getting rich off of my gold, but it was nice to be able to get out and find some fairly close to where I live.
GOD, I wish I was on that creek with you, 2 people can recover more gold than one...lol :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 527
  • SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 463

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread