96+97 Silver for year yield 2 firsts

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
With my goal of 100 a virtual lock, I was wondering if I would ever find a silver half. Last night, I found a 1953 Franklin. Very nice to see big silver in the ground. I couldn't believe that about 20 minutes later I popped another one out of the ground. 1944 Walker. I only pictured the back, b/c I don't want to show you guys what I did to the fronts with my digger. The place I am searching is a huge early house on about 5 acres.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• metaldetecting7112008.jpg
    metaldetecting7112008.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 826
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice half you have there. Congrats!!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I am curious what spots you are hunting to have that many silvers already? I went out nearly every day last yr.... clear through december... and only hit 59.......

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Minton,

I just started metal detecting last November. The first thing I did was buy the best machine. I may not ever pay for it with finds, but I like knowing I am holding the best. My strategy was to learn the machine in the local parks hunting for newer coins, and then branch out. I figured 100 silver coins was a reasonable goal based upon what I read here. After learning the machine, I practically abandoned the parks. I started asking friends to hunt their yards, and just kept my eyes and ears open to potential new sites. I have a couple buddies who have really helped me get permissions. There was also 2 great strokes of luck. The first was the discovery of a park within 1 minute from work(lunchtime hunts) that the metal detectors never hit. My friend Lostlake and I have pulled between 30-50 silver coins, and well over 400 wheat pennies from this location. Then, we discovered an old voting location that was also virgin. That site has produced about 20 silver coins for me. Basically, I have been extremely lucky getting into places, and finding silver coins is 90% location. Hope that helps,
Jon Dickinson.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I only pictured the back, b/c I don't want to show you guys what I did to the fronts with my digger."

Jon,
Sorry to hear about the digger attack. :wink: I think most of us have made that fatal mistake. Mine was on a 1917 SLQ. :'(
Congrats on the big silver. :thumbsup: 100 would be fantastic!!! Good luck.
-MM-

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice going, Jon, on your 2 silver halves. I remember when you were just a newbie, emailing me on how to operate your machine. You've come a long way!!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I only pictured the back, b/c I don't want to show you guys what I did to the fronts with my digger.

First, congrats on the coins!! I have yet to hit a silver half, and I've been at this for 9 years. Secondly, you should check out some of Dan's videos and watch how he recovers his coins with his SE and pinpointer. That should save you from scraping up your next silver half. :)

Keep up the good stuff!

Ray

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on your two "firsts" and both being Half Dollars, nice score!! Easy to damage a coin when being a little careless, I've got some nice date coins that are damaged in that way, so your not a first, hopefully you'll be a little more careful when digging those silver Halves!!

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Jon, I was really happy for you. We shall get back there soon. I need earphones and RD's machine..................and some motivation. We got permission to dig the lot next to the house from today. What a mess that was!!!
Chuck

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
my first big silver was a walker and I think I did a backflip when I seen that in the hole. It's a great feeling. Congrats

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
Jon, it was awesome to see you pull both of those out of the ground. I still think you give your machine too much credit- you are a natural at this hobby! :) Tell Brett that he should come out this Saturday and watch us dig the pit next to the place we were at yesterday. The house is older and hopefully we paid some dues for a good dig this weekend. -Rob

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
ohio said:
Jon, I was really happy for you. We shall get back there soon. I need earphones and RD's machine..................and some motivation. We got permission to dig the lot next to the house from today. What a mess that was!!!
Chuck

you can use it any time, buddy. RD

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to picture the other side of the coins. The damage to Ben really was just bad luck. He was sticking out of the bottom of the plug, and I just caught him as I flipped up the plug. The Walker was stupid, b/c I missed it with the plug, but heard it loud and clear with the pinpointer just outside the hole. Instead of digging a big hole around the area, I just sunk my digger into the side of my hole. I actually felt the tool hit the silver.
CaptainSE- I have come a long way, but still have a long way to go. I am ordering the new SE coil this week. I have gotten to a point where some of the falsing bothers me on the stock coil. Thanks for all your help.
Rob and Chuck - We need to get out there more before the dozers come in. I think there are still some nice things to be found.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• metaldetecting71108b.jpg
    metaldetecting71108b.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 302

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the big silver!!!!

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first, congrats on the great finds.... :thumbsup: i'm still looking for my 1st silver :o

sometimes you wish those diggers were made out of rubber......becareful next time... :thumbsup:

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the worst luck with only scratching my best finds. Congratulations on a double silver half day :thumbsup: The scratches you put in those coins just cleaning the dirt off of them are apparent in the photos, that detracts from their value just as much as any other scratch. I always try to be very gentle when cleaning and especially drying the coins off, that is where most micro scratches happen. Still VERY nice finds and a day you will never forget! ;D

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions