Think i found an Error Wheat Penny.........(what do you think)

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate
Just about finished logging My dads coins and came across this one. If you look at where the Liberty starts it looks like something happened to it, also on the date 1934 theres part of the 4 gone. The pennys in pretty good shape so i don't think it's because of wear. what does anyone else think?

Attachments

• wheat error.jpg
    wheat error.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 625
Upvote 0

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small errors but nothing to get over excited I still find some in change today but not worth much. Good find though HH TERRY

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coin can wear in some places and still have the rest of the coin look fine. I don't know of any errors of that type on wheat pennies. So my guess is uneven wear.

Keep @ it and HH!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Mighty_Mouse said:
Just about finished logging My dads coins and came across this one. If you look at where the Liberty starts it looks like something happened to it, also on the date 1934 theres part of the 4 gone. The pennys in pretty good shape so i don't think it's because of wear. what does anyone else think?

It is an error but a common one... filled die. The die itself will start to fill up with tiny pieces of copper and grease as it is used and will get so packed that the coins struck will be missing detail. I had a couple, back when I collected errors, that were almost completly missing the lettering on the front and they still were only a couple of bucks... but kind of cool anyway... the ironic thing is.. the 1922 "Plain" happen this way.. why it is worth so much makes no sense... it was just a filled mintmark as far as I know... There is a good book on errors you can find cheap.. I think it was written by Wexler?? somthing like that... it has been 20 years since I was into error coins...

MonkeyBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions