Sweet Jesus! I found Fishies in the Grass!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
*gulp* Blasphemy? Detecting on Sunday Morning??? <looking to the heavens for signs of eminent lightning or fire and brimstone> Uhh.. well I did. My work place is a Union Shop, and our Labor Contract expires tonight (Sunday 13th) at midnight. Our Union Representatives and management have been in negotiations for weeks hashing out the new contract proposals and it was all presented to us, the Union Body, this afternoon and we voted on it... to accept or not. Thankfully, though the contract could have been better, we realized that it could have been a LOT worse and this contract was voted in.. meaning accepted. NO STRIKE! *WHEW* No work stoppages, no walking the picket lines no tapping into savings accounts to pay bills etc etc. What a LOAD off of my mind! And the minds of the majority of my fellow union members apparently.
Anyway, prior to the Contract meeting this afternoon, I snuck in a couple of hours of metal detecting at a favorite city park that was "on the way" to the Union Hall. <grin> Being Sunday morning and the fact that it was a bit damp, was probably why there were so few people about the park when I arrived. I geared up and headed up the "movie hill" (I've mentioned this location numerous times in the past.. I think. <wink>). The grass was still damp with both dew and a light shower that had passed through town a couple of hours before. My socks were getting damp, right through my shoes. There were clouds of tiny gnats and little mosquitoes being kicked up out of the grass by my coil as I traversed the hill from one side to the other and back. I should have brought some DEET or OFF or something. Just remembering it now makes my legs itch and my skin crawl.. hairy legs and creepy crawlies aren't a good mix if you're trying to concentrate on other things.. like headphones and faint signals.
Not that I had to worry too much about faint signals, most signals were loud and clear, and very little of the metal targets I found were actually on the surface.. again. It amazes me that you can go over the same ground time and time again and still keep finding coins and other bits of metal that you've missed all the times before. I had a run on quarters and pennies today... Not a record haul of clad by any means, but a very nice stack of change all the same. Just a few more dollars (over $10 today) for the vacation fund. My wife is happy about that! Along with the change of course are all the usual suspects.. can slaw.. bottle caps.. pull tabs..

7-13-08 010tabs.jpg
There was some fencing wire, copper wire, copper pipe, a door nob, an outlet cover plate, part of a car battery terminal post, the striker pin from a door latch, some metal tag for something or another, a fuse, a doo dad.. and a 22 caliber cartridge (spent).

7-13-08 006stuff.jpg

Not much in the way of bling today though, One silver earring (no stamp or mark though), one little paste costume jewelry pendant, and a RonJon tag or charm. oh.. and one more of those colored glass beads. <shrug>

7-13-08 002.jpg

I found one lone token.. rang up as a fifty cent piece.. even the token said fifty cent piece.. followed by "No Cash Value" <smirk>

7-13-08 005token.jpg

Then there were the weapons... an automatic rifle with tactical flash light, scope and pintel mount.... and two rather abused throwing darts.. minus their fletching. ... and the seahorse.. <grin>

7-13-08 003weapons.jpg

Yeah.. "seahorse"... in the middle of a landlocked state, hundreds of miles from the ocean. And there were fish too! SWEET JESUS fish.. well.. "Jesus" fish anyway.. but they were all strung up on cords ready to wear around your neck if you so desired. I guess they were promos or give away items at the last "Free Fridays Flicks" at the Movie Hill. <shrug> They WERE surface finds... odd.. on a Sunday morning no less. Hmmmmmmm. I found all manor of junk and trash that gets lost or simply left behind by crowds of people.. pens, bottles, cans, caps, wrappers, even one pair of slightly bent or melted safety glasses. And, a full bottle of hand sanitizer. I kept that to clean up with after detecting, hey.. it was a brand new bottle, and it *IS* sanitizer.. <grin>

7-13-08 009fishies.jpg

Well as I said, I had a pretty good haul of coins and goodies, but I didn't realize just how good till much later in the day.. tonight even. I went right from detecting to the Union Hall and spent the majority of the day there with that task. But when I got home and finally emptied out my finds bag and tallied everything up I found that I had a very GOOD day indeed. Here's the coins..

Copy of 7-13-08 001allcoin.jpg

$10.80 in clad... not bad.. not bad..

Well, I'm off to spend some time with my visiting Mother in law. If the weather holds, maybe I'll get to get out and indulge again tomorrow! COOL!

Happy Hunting Everyone !

Frodov

Upvote 0

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Looks like you did some digging. Nice chunk of clad there. Keep pounding it.
HH, Mike in NJ

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
Your writing is as good as your M/D. I like to read all your topics. Good hunting.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grass fish...a little salt and pepper, might be a tad tough but...lol

nice assortment you found

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet haul you got there!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
txkickergirl said:
grass fish...a little salt and pepper, might be a tad tough but...lol

nice assortment you found

Better to eat wooden fish than to eat crow. <grin> "Wooden fish" Who would have thought it? WWJD (What Would Jesus have Deduced?) <grin> Now how many fishes and how many loaves did they miraculously pass out to all the people in that story? Hmmm.. going to have to reread that section.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
plehbah said:
In a pinch you can drink the sanitizer. Don't tell your warden that I told you.

*GASP* A word of caution to any of you would be experimentalists out there.. do *NOT* drink the sanitizer! Don't ask me how I know that, but you will regret it if you do. God help you if you actually swallow it! It makes Ex-Lax seem like molasses if you know what I mean. Whoooosh! (a sound you will become quite all too familiar with till it clears your system) <shudder>

<laughing>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread