🥇 BANNER FIND OF MY LIFETIME!!! - UPDATE FROM LEADING EXPERT...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This type of coin has been on the top of my wish list for 25 years or more. Now I have one.

It came from a pasture field which was hayed about a week ago. I have had no other Celtic items other than this off this field. Although we have noticed the soil is a good quality & less clay than the surrounding area.

This coin was most likely placed in the soil during a ritual to bless the land for good crops.

This coin was only 2inches deep (the field was ploughed about 10 years ago).

When I first dug it & I saw its edge, I thought 'wow a gold button!'. When I realised what it was & showed Dad there was much shouting & arm waving, so much so the farmer & his wife came out to have a look :D

Its a CELTIC GOLD STATER;

Ruler - CUNOBELIN

Minted about 20AD

Value - £500 ($1000)

To say I'm happy with this coin would be an understatement.

I am currently getting advice from the leading expert as it seems to be an unusual variant! (I will update later)

UPDATE (21/07/08)

This is what the Leading UK Expert said:

Congratulations! You must be delighted with this, and quite rightly so. I do like these wild type staters, partly because the horse looks so bizarre, and this is a good example of that.

As you say it’s VA 1933, of which there are 30 at
http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/images-lister.php?&VA_type=1933.01
and another 45 at
http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/images-lister.php?&VA_type=1933.03

I can’t remember offhand how VA separates these two varieties – something about the size of the little star on the reverse? I suspect this is not a very good way of separating them out, but no matter. I had a quick look for die-links, and there is at least one coin from the same pair of dies:

http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/largeview.php?coin_num=97.1593

The obverse is quite recognizable because of the flaw on the second leaf up on the right, next to the M of CAMV. There’s another example of that obverse die here (which is listed as VA 1933.01, not 1933.03):

http://www.finds.org.uk/CCI/largeview.php?coin_num=67.0167

The reverse too is quite distinctive, with the ringed pellet very far over to the left below the horse. Again there may well be others from this die. In terms of date, Cunobelin’s wild type is usually placed somewhere in the middle of his reign, say c. 20 AD, so I guess your coin is coming up to its 2000th birthday!

THEREFORE ITS ONE OF ABOUT 76 RECORDED.

Quote from a leading dealer;
Retail; £550-600
He would buy for £400-450

Not that I would sell it, but I will give the farmer £200 to keep it.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 7,914
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 7,580
Upvote 21
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
CRUSADER, for the last couple of days now I've been thinking about that wonderful Stater you found.

Again, I'm VERY happy for you! :thumbsup:

You mentioned this Stater could have possibly been placed in that field as part of a ritual. . . would this have been a common practice
at that time or just an isolated incident? I'm just trying to understand some of these ritual practices. . . they're sooo interesting :)

Take care,
watercolor

I asked a similar question to the leading expert & got this reply;

'As for the reasons for its deposition, we can only guess… but I like the idea of deliberately depositing one of these because the harvest had been good, or because it was hoped to bring a good harvest. I have difficulty believing that all these single finds are casual losses, which was the standard explanation until metal detecting turned up so many.'

So my thoughts on the reason is not far off what he thinks as well :) But we may never know for sure as the Celts had no written lanauge. Coins are the only place that writing turn up (copied the Roman & Greek coinage), also it was a romanized form of writing as many of them were classicly trained. The lanauge of trade. Celts had a love for wine which was not produced in Britain. They would swap anything for it including slaves from other tribes.

Robin

Apr 21, 2008
WOW !
That IS a find of a life time, And 10 AD. Thats a real keeper !
What a wonderfull find !!!

LOL ! Robin

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going! You have surely worked hard for it. Glad to see your persistence has paid off.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Congrats on a fantastic find.

What a beautiful piece of history. I'll crack a cold one and drink to your succcess when I get home tonight.
Does anyone know of any Celtic or Roman strongholds in the Chicago area? :icon_jokercolor:
Mike

sneaky6

Aug 14, 2007
Deep Dug Hole, VA
Crusader,
You always find the most amazing stuff and I love the fact that your Dad is your digging partner. Congrads! Find of a lifetime indeed. Keep digging. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Sneaky6

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CowboyKolo said:
Awesome find! and to think, I get excited when I find a dime from the 60's
;D

Welcome to Tnet & thanks for using your first post on me :)

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikewaz said:
Congrats on a fantastic find.

What a beautiful piece of history. I'll crack a cold one and drink to your succcess when I get home tonight.
Does anyone know of any Celtic or Roman strongholds in the Chicago area? :icon_jokercolor:
Mike

Maybe one of the basketball players buried some loot while in town? :D

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
CRUSADER said:
CowboyKolo said:
Awesome find! and to think, I get excited when I find a dime from the 60's
;D

Welcome to Tnet & thanks for using your first post on me :)

Hey, no problem! Made it into the 50's dime decade now myself, still got a looooong way to go before I match your find. Simply gorgeous

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Congrats on a spectacular coin Crusader!!! I too,as soon as I saw it, knew it had to be you.The banner is well deserved for such a rare find!!! For all you that think such things can't be found in the U.S. think again.In 2003 my dad found a ca. 87 A.D. Roman Bronze on the coast of Maine.Domicious or Domician is the ruler depicted on the coin.How it got there nobody knows but since it doesn't fit in with our history as we know it none of the treasure mags will print the story.Sorry Cru didn't mean to hijack your post just wanted to let others know that the history books may not be the full history, just the history as we know it.Huge congrats,Bootstrap

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootstrap vinn said:
Congrats on a spectacular coin Crusader!!! I too,as soon as I saw it, knew it had to be you.The banner is well deserved for such a rare find!!! For all you that think such things can't be found in the U.S. think again.In 2003 my dad found a ca. 87 A.D. Roman Bronze on the coast of Maine.Domicious or Domician is the ruler depicted on the coin.How it got there nobody knows but since it doesn't fit in with our history as we know it none of the treasure mags will print the story.Sorry Cru didn't mean to hijack your post just wanted to let others know that the history books may not be the full history, just the history as we know it.Huge congrats,Bootstrap

Thank for the comments.

On the roman coin find, it happened to a member very recently in the today's finds. Others have commented on similar finds in the US. However these are mostly likely kids who lost them on the way to show & tell or just playing with Dad's collection.

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Find!!!!!

Well done bud!
hh
slim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread