Hey CRUSADER, drinks happening at my place too! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could swim I'd probably make my way across the pond for a toast. :D Unfortunately I did not find a gold coin but to many a relic hunter it would be in range.

Today my hunting bud and i made it back to our new little Colonial site on the creek. As I suspected it was on the quiet side, in fact I had nothing to show for my first hour. Deciding to leave the "iron patch" which I don't really like to do, paid off in a big way. This Rev War Officer button was found at maybe 8" or 9" and I knew when I seen it, it had potential to be quite good. To my surprise it's better than expected and would be among the finest known. It's not quite as rare or as valuable as it once was when there was only 2-3 known but even now would still buy a nice detector. ;D

Shortly after the button I wandered closer to the creek and dug what sounded like a deep shotgun shell. Nope! That's silver in the hole... and not just silver.. Colonial counterstamped silver! :icon_sunny: I don't know what it is (paging Don SJ.. Don SJ) :D but it's interesting. One side has what I think is GH? or CH? , the other side says "Hill". Will be hard to top this day for the rest of 2008 but I'll be out there trying. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,724
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5,732
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,604
  • zkb2.jpg
    zkb2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,608
Upvote 4

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Iron Man !!! :headbang: :hello2: :headbang: A BANNER day :occasion14:

I would like you to think twice about trying to swim the Atlantic , Go for it !!!! ...You'd make the record books !! :icon_thumleft: :idea1: :icon_thumright:

Those initals are hard to determine , could be a "G" or "C" , the second might even be an "A" (script)
Just so hard to tell in my old eyes.

What counts most is you had a fun filled day diggin those relics !! :thumbsup:

Here's to digging more of 'em in the future :occasion14:

Congradulations !!

Derek :icon_study: :icon_scratch: :read2: :icon_thumleft:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For your perserverance and dedication to the hobby, you have been royally rewarded!

Congrats, that is soooo cool!

Nat

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moses...that is freakin amazing! I can't believe the condition on that KAR button! Congrats on the banner...you said you would get there!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord what fantastic finds. Your right it will be hard to beat. Congrats Iron Patch.

Burdie

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Iron Patch :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I would be smiling for a month. ;D

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch, those two finds are frickin' killer. The button is simply OUTSTANDING and the counterstamped silver is simply :notworthy:-worthy.

You are a great hunter, who knows what to look for and does so with extreme professionalism!

My brother and I were just wondering where you are located?

Kyle

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I know you have worked hard, done a ton of research, and look it paid off! :thumbsup: Congratulations on an amazing day!

I think I may have even picked up a trick here. Thanks!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:
Fantastic button, IP! (and in wonderful shape too)

If you haven't seen it, nteresting reading here: http://www.royalprovincial.com/Military/rhist/kar/kar1hist.htm

_Rich_

Rich to make a long short this isn't my first one of these, the first came about 8 years ago when I started detecting. I had only been swinging a few weeks when I dug what seemed like a neat old military button. Eventhough the coins were 200 years old I did not make the connection the button could be too, I simply thought WW1. That night I got online to do a little research and typed in the name and got that same site. I can't really put into words how I felt seeing the age and history behind the regiment. At that point I was made a button hunter and never looked back. :-X

It's poor but this is the button I dug that day.

Attachments

• kingsbutton.jpg
    kingsbutton.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,954

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ery awesome button!!! a question, whats a iron patch? or a good iron patch???

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Iron Patch said:
Rich to make a long short this isn't my first one of these, the first came about 8 years ago when I started detecting. I had only been swinging a few weeks when I dug what seemed like a neat old military button. Even though the coins were 200 years old I did not make the connection the button could be too, I simply thought WW1. That night I got online to do a little research and typed in the name and got that same site. I can't really put into words how I felt seeing the age and history behind the regiment. At that point I was made a button hunter and never looked back. :-X

I can imagine. Heck of a nice way to start. What detector did you start off with?

And that one ain't bad either but, good go...olly, nothing compared to the one you just found.

_R_ (about halfway through that KAR saga--keep taking smoke breaks to read more)

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chong2 said:
ery awesome button!!! a question, whats a iron patch? or a good iron patch???

It's the iron that remains in the ground from an early home site. When you hunt fields you look for broken pottery and glass with your eyes, and iron with the detector. Where you find it, you will find other goodies too.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:
Iron Patch said:
Rich to make a long short this isn't my first one of these, the first came about 8 years ago when I started detecting. I had only been swinging a few weeks when I dug what seemed like a neat old military button. Even though the coins were 200 years old I did not make the connection the button could be too, I simply thought WW1. That night I got online to do a little research and typed in the name and got that same site. I can't really put into words how I felt seeing the age and history behind the regiment. At that point I was made a button hunter and never looked back. :-X

I can imagine. Heck of a nice way to start. What detector did you start off with?

And that one ain't bad either but, good go...olly, nothing compared to the one you just found.

_R_ (about halfway through that KAR saga--keep taking smoke breaks to read more)

Started with a Garrett GTI 1500. Was between that and the CZ 7a pro & Whites XLT. I really just picked the Garrett because I was more familiar with their name in detecting. Used it about a year but couldn't ignore all the Explorer hype so tried one. That was about 7 years ago and the only thing I've used since. I laugh at anyone who says the Explorer is really just a coin detector because of it's screen and features. The truth is the Explorer has great guts to relic hunt and does everything you'd want in a relic detector.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ahh thanks for the quick response, awesome finds once again!!!!!!!!!!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking over this post, I followed the Uniform links and saw the buttons with the crown and RP below.

I dug a button like this somewhere outside of Charleston SC about 4 years ago...
I knew it was Brittish but not anything else...
Anyone here have an idea of the Value of a "RP under CROWN" button.... ?
the material is like Pewter, that has chipped a little in places....

Also found on the same site was a Rev war small cuff button with the old style eagle on it...

thanks for any help...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread