Hey CRUSADER, drinks happening at my place too! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could swim I'd probably make my way across the pond for a toast. :D Unfortunately I did not find a gold coin but to many a relic hunter it would be in range.

Today my hunting bud and i made it back to our new little Colonial site on the creek. As I suspected it was on the quiet side, in fact I had nothing to show for my first hour. Deciding to leave the "iron patch" which I don't really like to do, paid off in a big way. This Rev War Officer button was found at maybe 8" or 9" and I knew when I seen it, it had potential to be quite good. To my surprise it's better than expected and would be among the finest known. It's not quite as rare or as valuable as it once was when there was only 2-3 known but even now would still buy a nice detector. ;D

Shortly after the button I wandered closer to the creek and dug what sounded like a deep shotgun shell. Nope! That's silver in the hole... and not just silver.. Colonial counterstamped silver! :icon_sunny: I don't know what it is (paging Don SJ.. Don SJ) :D but it's interesting. One side has what I think is GH? or CH? , the other side says "Hill". Will be hard to top this day for the rest of 2008 but I'll be out there trying. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,724
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5,732
  • q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,604
  • zkb2.jpg
    zkb2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,608
Upvote 4

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O M G! :o I P! Simply stunning finds! :icon_pirat: What a great button and the silver! Wow! 8) I KNOWWW you're a happy hunter right now!! :D

Amazing finds!! Many congrats! Nana :)

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
WOW...I'm speachless Iron Patch! LOVE the button and the silver :o ;D Yeah, it WILL be hard to top this day! :D

HH, Kiko

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is amazing! Absolutely amazing!

Congrats

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
im still up having a drink for crusader and now i'll stay up later and have the next one for you :wink: :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition of that Rare Revolutionary War Officer's button is superb and congratulations on finding one in that field in collector condition!!!!!! I am sure a lot do not comprehend the history of a button like that and that the rarity is up there and your button deserves all the kudos as much as any button posted on TNet. In other words it is a BANNER find! Much more important historically than most of the coins that make it and definitely rarer.

I wish I could help you on the coin, the word Hill is also I believe a very Common surname of the British, so it could be most anything or have any meaning. I do agree that the letters look like script GR, so your hyposis is possible, but I think somewhat remote, but romantic enough to make for a good story.

I hope more is to come there, even though it sounds like it might be tough to squeeze a few more goodies from the site, but knowing you, if something else is there, you will find it..........

Again, Congrats on the finds today and especially the Revolutionary War button and the silver coin!

Don

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
The condition of that Rare Revolutionary War Officer's button is superb and congratulations on finding one in that field in collector condition!!!!!! I am sure a lot do not comprehend the history of a button like that and that the rarity is up there and your button deserves all the kudos as much as any button posted on TNet. In other words it is a BANNER find! Much more important historically than most of the coins that make it and definitely rarer.

I wish I could help you on the coin, the word Hill is also I believe a very Common surname of the British, so it could be most anything or have any meaning. I do agree that the letters look like script GR, so your hyposis is possible, but I think somewhat remote, but romantic enough to make for a good story.

I hope more is to come there, even though it sounds like it might be tough to squeeze a few more goodies from the site, but knowing you, if something else is there, you will find it..........

Again, Congrats on the finds today and especially the Revolutionary War button and the silver coin!

Don

Thanks Don. My friend has a reference that says Hill was a known counterstamp so maybe there is a chance. I too think very remote to be connected to a battle but it made for a good post. :)

PS... Today was enough to finally get my other bud out. Hitting it tomorrow at 7am.

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JUMPIN JIMINY CRICKETS! That is the find of a life time Patch! I agree, BANNER!!!!!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds, IP!! Can't get any better than this.

:wink: RR

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very awesome button! I bet thats the coolest find to date!! Thats so cool! :) Great job on the silver as well! To bad the detail was not as good as it could have been.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW. That is one Incredible button! For a dug find, that is TOP condition, my friend~!

So these finds were made where there was no iron patch? I don't usually wander far away from a good iron patch either, but I'm interested in learning a little more. Were you playing on a hunch when you wandered away from the iron?

Was the button cleaned with Aluminum Jelly?

The silver is certainly interesting--and I'm excited to hear more about the counterstamp.

Congratulations on your BANNER day. Keep those incredible finds coming. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckleboy

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what a button like that is worth, but I would be on Cloud 9 if I found something like that! What an AMAZING piece of history.

Great BANNER find!

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Congrats on 2 banner finds in one day.

Could the second letter of the stamp be an "H"? Hill could be the last name with the front having initials and the back having the full last name.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is sweet!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Man, I need to get out to the east coast one of these days!! The coins and buttons you guys find are incredible. Congrats on some great finds!!! Hope you find a lot more.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread