Todays finds have been canceled!!!

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Today's finds have been canceled!!!

Well, I was planning on going detecting today. I just received my XLT back from being repaired on the 19 and haven't had a chance to use it until this weekend. Well I get out and start detecting and got a good Foil or Small ring signal. (I ALWAYS dig these) So I pulled my trigger to pinpoint my find and my machine goes crazy >:( ... It starts chirping and cutting up and just going berzerk!! So I turn it off, and back on and ground balance it from the beginning. Again, I try to pinpoint my find, but it does the same thing. Now I'm getting pissed...

So I take out the batteries, and clean the compartment real good thinking there may be something in there and then I put them back in. Start the machine up again, go to pinpoint in the air and it does it again... For some reason my pinpointer is screwed up... So my WHOLE weekend of detecting is compromised because of this and I'm not a happy camper!! I sent it in to be fixed and it comes back broke... It will detect and identify targets just fine, but it won't pinpoint. So I guess I'll have to use the Garrett for now...

Oh, the foil/small ring signal I had... It did help my bloodpressure come back down to high.... It was a 18k Heart Shaped Gold Pendant... A VERY nice find!!! :D

Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Today's finds have been canceled!!!

My detector went crazy like that one time. It was because I had water between my coil and my coil cover. I dried it out and it worked just fine.

Just a thought.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

Sorry to here about the XLT, at least you had a back up! Congrats on the gold! Any pics?

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
Gold Digger

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions haupin and omni... It's dry as a bone here, no rain and I have kept the detector in a dry cool place with no chance of moisture leakage. I hunt in the factory modes, and don't screw with the sensivity or anything... LOL I know it would screw up if I did that... ;)

Anyway, here are a couple of pics... Sorry for the quality, my digi cam is in storage and these were taken with my cell phone...

Attachments

• 07-04-05_1843[1].jpg
    07-04-05_1843[1].jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 07-04-05_1859[1].jpg
    07-04-05_1859[1].jpg
    2 KB · Views: 256

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.

Nice Heart pendant!! Sorry to hear that about your detector and I am supprised Whites let that get by. Then again I never had a problem with with a Whites detector. At least you got a Backup. Don't you also have a GTI 2500?

OP
OP
Gold Digger

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003

No sir... My back up is the Garrett CXIII... I have the bloodhound attachment and planned to use it for cache hunting, only problem is... I've never been in the need for it... ??? LOL

I've thought about selling the Garrett so I can fund a new XLT... But as long as my old one is still kicking I can't justify dropping that much money for a new one... I love my XLT but it sure is getting cranky in it's old age... It was made and bought in 1993... I used my tax refund from that year to get it... It's been an awesome machine throughout the years. I take excellent care of my equipment, but I guess everything has to stop working sooner or later... :'( :(

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used

OK, now I feel sorry for you ;). Not sure why I didn't like the older Garrett's. I think one thing was the solid coil which they have changed. Just curious if you have done any tests with the Bloodhound attachment?

OP
OP
Gold Digger

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003

LOL... I don't like the Garrett because its so heavy in the front end, almost like the coil weighs 10 pounds on the end of the rod. My Dad gave me the detector a few years ago and he only used for about an hour, I've only used it for a couple of hours combined and that was when my XLT was down.

The few years I've had it, I have never even attached the Bloodhound to it to see what it will do.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used

They made an arm cuff that attached to the CX-III, not sure if you have that or not. I don't think they came with them. If not it would help a lot to have one.

OP
OP
Gold Digger

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003

Yeah, I have that arm cuff... It's pretty useless, I think it's too short or something? Remember why you didn't like the CX's yet? LOL

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used

I remember the Whites Spectrum felt like an extension of my arm and the Garrett, well it could talk. Really it was being able to tweak everything on the Whites and the VDI numbers from -100 to +100 versus something like 24 notch discrimination on the Garrett. I still took a long hard look at the CX III back then. I want a GTI 2500 to play with the size imaging for finding rings. I guess Pulltabs would still show the same size as rings.

OP
OP
Gold Digger

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever get away from the pulltabs... :-\
If I ever find the guy that invented those dadburned things, so help me.... >:( LOL

In the months leading up to my buying the Spectrum I researched and researched and researched again, I was a walking detector encyclopedia at that time. It came down to the Garrett or the Spectrum. The deciding factor was I went for a haircut and while waiting I happened to look in a consumer reports magazine they had sitting around and low and behold they had done a detector rating, with Whites coming out on top. Needless to say I went with the Whites and I've been happy with it from day one... Even with it acting up like it is, I am a die hard fan of it...

The only thing I dislike about Garrett's CXIII is the heavy and uncomfortable feeling it gives when in use. If I were to use it for half the day of detecting I do the Whites my arm would be so tired I wouldn't want to go again for a month. One other thing... The Treasure Talk... I am deaf and can't make it out very well, so I use the graphs on my detectors, I have to. All my years of shooting caught up to me and in a bad kind of way... LOL

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Gold Digger said:
Anyway, here are a couple of pics... Sorry for the quality, my digi cam is in storage and these were taken with my cell phone...
Call 1-800-18K-GOLD
;D BTW, Congrats!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting