First Hunt with first Detector

mccfisto

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2008
Northern Delaware
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hello All, Newbie here.......Got a ACE 250 and finally got about 45 minutes with it to start learning the bells and whistles. I did some searching in my small pathetic back yard and found a Quarter (94) dime (07) and a penny (06). They all seem to read about 4 inches deep but the dime was pretty shallow. I hope to hit a school park near here on saturday. The only problem I encountered was I couldnt get a headphone set to work, I tried 3 different sets and none worked ( ???) so anyway......... I've been reading alot on here and will continue to do so, hopefully ill have some pics to add soon. Thank you ALL.

Bill
Delaware

Upvote 0
R

RUDY2003

Welcome and good start.
Love to see your finds......

Keep safe...

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Bill I'm like you, trying to figure out my machine and only hunted my back yard so far. And by the way you got me beat three pennies:( LOL.... HH tom

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats the problem with the headphones? I had to buy a stereo jack to plug into regular headphones because the jack on the detector is larger than like a walkman set.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
mccfisto

mccfisto

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2008
Northern Delaware
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Yes I bought new headphones with a 1/4" jack adapter, I wonder if thats it? I tried 3 different headphones with adjustable volume control and with out, I dunno so far.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going, and welcome to the ACE 250 club. You now own one of the hottest little detector's around.

Can't figure out why your headset isn't working. Did you buy your detector from a dealer? If so take it back and ask him to put a headset on it and see if he can get it to work. If not and you can't get the headset to work, call Garrett. I'm sure they will be very helpful.

I own two ACE 250's, gotta have one for a backup. LOL I also use a SunRay Probe on my ACE. No you don't have to go out and buy a SunRay, but it really is a Great Probe. I do suggest you get some kind of probe to help you get those targets out of the hole you dug. I also bought a really Great Headset from SunRay. They cost me a lot, but you get what you pay for. They are loud and crisp. And you can change them from Mono to Stereo, in case you want to use them with other detectors.

Best of luck with you new detector. My first year I dug over 4,000 new coins with my ACE 250, all clad. Also dug up over 100 silver coins, many tokens and even a 6 pound cannonball.

HH,Ringfinder

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Hi Bill. Welcome to a great forum filled with fantastic people all addicted to the best hobby going! I also use the Ace 250 and love it! I had to buy a 2nd one since my wife took mine over after I found a silver ring with it. The Ace is very easy to use right out of the box. However the more you play with it the more you learn what it is telling you. It only gets better. Local tot lots are a great learning experience. Happy hunting and looking forward to seeing pics of your next hunts.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Bill!
Welcome to T-Net!

A good set of headphones, to me anyway are as important as your choice in detector. Being you tried 3 pairs, it does appear you may have a faulty detector? Did you purchase new or used, if I may ask? To find the really deep coins/relics you must use a good quality pair. Personally, I wouldn't hunt without the benefit of working headphones; it's just too frustrating being my hearing is not the best. Your backyard is always a good place to begin.

I wish you well Bill!
Keep us abreast of your success!
GRB

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I am also a newbie here in Italy (I'm American), though have lurked for a few months trying to learn the ropes. Been at the back yard, side yard, and front for four days now. Just got my first coin an hour ago, (not important) after around a ton and a half of scrap iron, a rusty knife, a bronze water faucet, a communion medallion, 2 toy lead soldiers, bullet casings, half a pewter spoon, another half ton of unidentifiables. Not to mention nails, nails, nails.. I have been using a Garrett GTAx550...and it says coin on almost everything large, and loves aluminum foil, when used in all metal, though always indicates some coin on the box. The pinpointing is dead on, though. I dig a big plug of dirt up around the target, and re-swing, to determine if the target is still in the hole or in the plug. I use my hands after that, and have been lucky so far, not getting cut by broken glass. The system is working so far...I've tried discriminating, and still I come up with junk, like rusty half nails. So, either I have a learning curve to go through, or the machine is not doing what I expect of it..

I had a White's PI that I used on the beach prior to moving into the mountains, that loved everything metallic, so I sold it, thinking I need a discriminating machine, and now I found out, that if you want the gold, you have to dig everything anyway..

Also, my headphones didn't fit the jack hole in the Garrett, so going now with audible, and it scares the cats and dogs.

Either whatever, I am having a great time, I wish you all the luck, and no matter what I dig up, I am amazed and happy each time, except for foil that reads $1. The fun is the hunt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet & the hobbie from the UK

Happy Hunting :wink:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Finding a few coins in your back yard right off the bat is surely a good sign!

...I can't see where anyone mentioned it earlier... Detector output usually requires a stereo plug.
Sounds like you are using a mono adapter and it's just not working.

Ace is small enough... just take it into a RS and try the new headphones in it.
I like the $25 ones w/ separate volume controls on the headphone.

I DON'T like using adapters...

Best

OP
OP
mccfisto

mccfisto

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2008
Northern Delaware
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I purchased a $29 set of noise cancelling head phones (GE)with seperate volume control and got a Gold plated adapter to fit the ACE. Now I hear all the bell and whistles !!!!

Now if ya"ll excuse me...........I have some digging to do..............

PS.........Thank you to all for your tips, tricks, and encouragement, talk to ya soon.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread