Semi-key Barber dime but...

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
So when is finding a semi-key Barber dime a bad thing? When you really "make it your own" as I did this one! Jim and I had hunted Saturday and come up with nothing but a wheat, and Sunday wasn't going well either. We made a final stop at a park about 20 miles from town that we'd hunted before with some success, although the old coins were pretty far between. I hit a bouncy 28 signal at about 3.5-4" and wasn't expecting much more than a wheat at best. It seems there was a piece of iron in the hole that threw my pinpointing off a couple of inches and this is the result. :'( :'( :'( A $70 Barber dime that has not one, but three visible gouges on the reverse. :'( :'( :'( The Roosevelt came up about 10 feet away in a rather unique manner. I cut a deep plug and, when I scanned, heard the target in the plug. I dug away until I saw a green wheat penny in the bottom of the plug, but when I picked it out, the back of the dime was visible right underneath it! That was a nice little suprise.
All the way home I was hoping the Barber wasn't a rare date. After all, it's a Philadelphia mint! It broke my heart when I saw it was worth more than the "O" mint of the same year. As penance, I promise to watch "Jimmy Sierra and the Goat Doctor Treasure" at least 5 times before I pick up a detector again. :'( :'(

Attachments

• scratch1.jpg
    scratch1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 466
  • scratch2.JPG
    scratch2.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUCH!

Been several nice coins on here sliced and diced this week...Must be the heat fogging up folks' brains. :-[

Do your Penance. Get out there again. Stay Calm and Focused. And Dig Carefully.

-Buckles

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that sux!!! But a damaged coin is still better than no coin :thumbsup:

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Well the reason the 1895 coins are low mintage is because of a depression in the mid 1890's. Looks kinda like depression has reared it's ugly head again. I bought one of those sunray probes and I cut large u-shaped plugs which helps prevent scratching a good target. One of my detecting buddies used to say I put my signature on many of my finds. I let the probe show me right where the target is and I dig carefully around it. Congrats on the find. Ive got the 1895-O dime and had an 1895-S half that came from a picnic grove.

dugdigger

Mar 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & fisher 1265
i'd take any barber. those are good digs any way you get them.

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
Uuugghhh, thats rough. I found a counterfeit 8 reale a few days ago and sliced the reverse of it. At the time I was very disappointed because I didn't know what it was at the time. The problem I was having that day is the fact that the ground was like cutting through concrete with a spoon so it made digging very difficult.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. It's a bad month for barbers. I slashed this one a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 215
  • dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 225

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread