Im in "HOG HEAVEN" with 5th Indian head penny tonight. But wheres the Silver??

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in "HOG HEAVEN" with 5th Indian head penny tonight. But where's the Silver??

Hello everyone, Just got back from a run to Florida and you know I had to take a day off. I decided to go back to 1836 farm house because there is still alot of ground to cover. Less than 1 hour into hunt I pulled out another Mint 1865 Indian head. Not quite as good as my first one but pretty close. The ground here in Ohio is getting hard to dig as we enter the DOG DAYS of Summer Found a 1917 Wheaties with my pinpointer under a large maple tree. There seems to be a lot of runoff from the rain. Less than 1 inch. It's getting a peroxide bath. The Indian cleaned up with just water and a touch of olive oil. I found this metal pig :icon_scratch: Boy did that thing set the Ace 250 alarm off. Found another Model A or T valve cap, I guess. That the second one from this place. Found something with 3 leaf clovers around it. Found this toothpaste tube in excellent shape. Any ideas on it's age ??? The rest is in question. Copper thing ??? Thanks for taking a look and Happy Hunting, Ron

Picture476.jpg

Picture473.jpg

Picture474.jpg

Picture475.jpg

Picture481.jpg

Picture482.jpg

Picture484.jpg

Picture483.jpg

Picture477.jpg

Picture478.jpg

Picture479.jpg

Picture480.jpg

Upvote 0

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Re: I'm in "HOG HEAVEN" with 5th Indian head penny tonight

Nice Indians - I have got to find me one!

One day.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic Finds, Looks like the ACE is kicking A_ _ !!!, Great little detector isn't it?

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ringfinder said:
Fantastic Finds, Looks like the ACE is kicking A_ _ !!!, Great little detector isn't it?

HH, Ringfinder

It's done this newbie some notable finds in the last 3 months. The more I use it the easier it is to understand it. Definitely worth its weight in gold

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one sharp injun' CJH :thumbsup:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

silverfreak said:
That is one sharp injun' CJH :thumbsup:

Thanks Silverfreak. Not as good as the other one. 1865 seems to be a popular year for the injun

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250

Congrats on your finds! I'd be hunting that place hard, if I were you. You have some really great finds. Many people don't find coins like that in years of hunting. I hope you have much continued success! I love the Ace.

HH,

Dr. Ace

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dr. Ace said:
Congrats on your finds! I'd be hunting that place hard, if I were you. You have some really great finds. Many people don't find coins like that in years of hunting. I hope you have much continued success! I love the Ace.

I've got quite a few hours into that place, but as you can see from all of my post just the house and surrounding yard is several acres. The farmland is 90. When the beans are harvested I'm going to venture back to the woods. There is 12 acres of woods back there. Besides, the place is for sale and could sell anytime. However, it's been on the market for a few years, 357,000 buys it.

HH,

Dr. Ace

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705

Very nice Indians. I'm still waiting to find one of those...Looks like a nice house & spot you have..... :thumbsup:

HH

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Indians...gotta love that piggy too. ;D

:wink: RR

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

River Rat said:
Nice Indians...gotta love that piggy too. ;D

:wink: RR

Have no idea what it is from. It has one hole near the top center. I like it though. When I swept over it I thought I found a silver dollar ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: I'm in "HOG HEAVEN" with 5th Indian head penny tonight. But where's the Silver??

Wow, you are killing off the tribe! :o So nice when you find a site that produces IH's that look like that....and early year ones too! Very sweet. Those IH's are probably worth more than any worn barber or seated dime. ;D

As for the silver....it's just like wheat pennies to mercs or rosies....sometimes the ratio is 10 to 1 other times it's more like 4 or 5 to 1.

Bob

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Re: I'm in "HOG HEAVEN" with 5th Indian head penny tonight. But where's the Silver??

Man,those are some sweeeeet looking Indians. Holy cow,that 65 looks like it was dropped the day it was minted!!!! Nice pics too!!!!!
Jerry

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

...but where's all the silver??

I already beat you to it. ;D ;D Nah, I've never been to Ohio, but I've seen a lot of nice finds(including silver) from Ohio.

Nice going on all your Injuns. I love finding those Injuns. I wish I could find more of them from my hunting areas.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That 65 Indian is Primo CJH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A great find my friend :thumbsup:

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250

Wow, those indians are stunning. I've got to run my ACE over some IH's. Great finds!

greengorilla

Jul 6, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Don't you just love that Ace? Great finds.
I'm not sure you are allowed to use "Hog Heaven" outside of Arkansas
Go Razorbacks!!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

I know what you mean, jarhead.
I have a 1700 site that has produced
large cent, indians, a flying eagle, but only two
little silvers. I think that somebody must have
cherry picked the place...........oh well.
What are you going to do?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW, some of those IH's are fantastic!!! Great finds for sure you lucky dog. Looks like a neat hunting spot too.
Congrats on all of your finds,
MM

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mirage said:
Wow, you are killing off the tribe! :o So nice when you find a site that produces IH's that look like that....and early year ones too! Very sweet. Those IH's are probably worth more than any worn barber or seated dime. ;D

As for the silver....it's just like wheat pennies to mercs or rosies....sometimes the ratio is 10 to 1 other times it's more like 4 or 5 to 1.

Bob

Thanks Mirage. I know there are still some there. But like I said before in one of my post is the lack of wheaties and silver. I have found only one 44 Merc. Maybe the coins are deeper and my lack of experience has missed them. I have found only 3 wheaties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread