Back in the saddle (so to speak)

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy everyone!

While not strictly a newbie - I've been detecting on-n-off (mostly off) for almost thirty years - I just this week broke out the DFX I purchased new last year. You know it's bad when the factory dry cells were discharged! I'm a US Air Force member stationed at Ramstein AB, Germany and thought I'd see what one of the military elementary schools in the area had to offer. In the first 4 hours of use the DFX brought in about 7 bucks in US clad, 5 bucks (US) in Euro (the local currency), 1 pound 20p in British coinage (that's 2 dollars!), 2 Deutschmarks fifty (no longer any good), my first-ever silver ring, and plenty o' trash. Not knowing yet how all the European coins show on the DFX, I dig everything not showing as iron. Luckily, the playground is a sand pit so a garden trowel and sieve make for pretty easy pickin's. This weekend I plan to check out what a local German village park has to offer. There was a town-fest at the park this past weekend and with luck some folks dropped a bit of change for me to scavenge. The town dates back to the Roman Empire so there is no telling what may turn up!

Just thought I'd share my luck with ya'll...HH,

Batch

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! ?Your lucky to have those sandy playgrounds, LOL, all the playgrounds around here now have that thick rubber under the playground equipment. ?You can still cash in Deutsch Marks at the Federal Bank, also was in a motorcycle shop that had a sign up saying they still accept Deutsch Marks. ?Look for obstacle courses around the posts/bases as well, I've pulled up $30-$40 in just 2 hours. ?Catholic churches are good sites, actually the sides of the public roads where the bride and groom would be driving away from the church and not the church grounds. ?German tradition, kids will block the road with a rope after a wedding and each car has to throw money out the window to the kids, then they can pass. ?They don't get all the change, LOL! ?All that change lands just about 3' from the road in the grass. ?The kids are getting smarter, they are using baskets now, LOL! ?Use a screw driver to pop up the coins as they are not very deep and they are so abundant you would tear up the grass if you don't use a screw driver. ?Use a small coil if you have one. ?HH, Mike

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
You should check the laws for Germany and or the town . Metal detectors are not allowed in Sweden but are in Norway but I think you must turn in what you find and you cannot own anything before 1550 . You also could ask on one of the forums .

OP
OP
B

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here is a photo of the 2 day haul. The British coins didn't make it this far...I traded them off to an English friend of mine. The silver ring has an interesting motif cut into it...not sure if it is of any significance. Above the clad are two buttons that were part of the "stuff" I found other than coins. Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. Bavaria Mike was kind enough to give me some basic info on the laws in GE (and thanks for the tip above!) so I think I'm go to go in that respect.

Until next time,

Batch

Attachments

• 2 day haul.jpg
    2 day haul.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 176

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a great site to hunt ! WTG!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread