Metal detecting two ghost towns in eastern Washington! :)

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! Well yesterday was exciting to say the least! :) I went to a ski resort for one hour in eastern washington because it was cold. Did not get very much so I asked my mom who was the driver if we could check out two ghost towns in eastern washington that were nearby! She said sure and we drove about an hour to get to the first ghost town. It produced $1.52 in change. No old coins yet. I had a little trouble yesterday digging because the ground was so hard. The trip was 6 hours of metal detecting and a couple hours of driving. Left at 5:30am and got home at 6:00pm. Really long day and tiring but had a lot of FUN!

I did find some nice finds! The second ghost town produced a lot more then the first one in the matter of relics. Which I was surprised because I was aiming for coins. But instead I got a very cool medicine bottle and a really old lock. Both look to be from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. I found another key at the old school house in town; now I have 9 keys total this year! :) I also met someone who is the proclaimed major and he said that I can have permission to hunt any old building that I wanted to hunt in the ghost town! Which I thought was pretty awesome! So I am definatly going back next week to hunt and see if I can get any old coins this time! :)

Here are the pictures:

Ski resort:
DSCF0313.jpg

Two Ghost towns:
DSCF0312.jpg

Old Lock:
DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0315.jpg

Old medicine bottle:
DSCF0316.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg

Trash from both ghost towns:
DSCF0321.jpg

Still learning the machine. Getting used to whats trash and whats not. I also dug a lot of the garbage signals because on my digital screen for my SE they came up as a penny or a dime. So I thought why not. This weekend I am going to a metal detecting seminar in Seattle, so i should learn a lot more about how to metal detect and improving my skills! :)

Sorry for the blurry pictures of the lock.

Please help me identify what year the lock and bottle are! That would be greatly appriciaed!

Thanks for reading! I hope everyone got out on the beautifull sunny day yesterday!!! :)

Upvote 0
R

RUDY2003

Cool lock.
I expect Lockman can identify it, or someone else here will...

Keep safe...

Keith

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup:
Looks to me like ya had a ton of fun. Let me know how the seminar goes.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Sounds and looks like you had a good time young man! LOL, I can just picture you and the proclaimed mayor pulling up the floor boards in the old buildings! Hahahaha! You never know I bet you'll find lots of goodies and oldies. HH Tom

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Looks good,

You know how many times I've been thinking to drive up north a little here in Pa and hunt around some of our ghost towns. We had some nice one's also. You got really lucky to come by a good person to allow you to hunt them that is great.

Good luck in the future. I'm sure from the looks of those finds you'll find more out there.

HH Jer

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lock looks like a old railroad lock.

Nice finds, and seems like a great site.

Keep @ it and HH!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Work those ghost towns for all their worth! Or until mom pulls the plug - whichever comes first. Good job! TTC

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow I think ya did greatttttttttttt :thumbsup: :thumbsup: can't wait for part two..

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Cool lock, can't help you on the date, but the bottle looks like a screw top, machine made, probably 1905-1920.

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
ruccello said:
Cool lock, can't help you on the date, but the bottle looks like a screw top, machine made, probably 1905-1920.

Thanks dude! I got the lock identified sort of! There is this expert key/lock dude at my local Ace Hardware who also metal detects and is mainly into gold panning. He says the Lock is early 1900's to 1950's. He was really excited when I brought it to him and asked him what the year was on the lock. He had never seen one of those before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread