2 Barber quarters, 2 mercs, 3 rosies and the usual suspects

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Today I went back to the same picnic area where I had two 10 plus silver days last week. The temps were near 90 and the humidity was 300 percent. I hung in there for 4 hours or more and sweated out a few gallons of water. All that aside, it was still a good day of detecting. The area that I've been doing so well in was starting to come up dry, so I started to hunt around for a new hotspot. Heading uphill I found many wheats and then a 1918 merc. I started to work a little tighter pattern at that time. Back and forth I scanned as I slowly climbed uphill. Bam! loud signal 5 inches deep. I thought this might finally be my silver half I'd been looking for. I made my "u " shaped cut and flip the sod back. Re-scan and signal is deeper so out comes the Sunray probe. Pinpoint and flip up some dirt and see that silver flash ;D . A well worn almost dateless 1902 Barber quarter is brought to light. Before I fill my holes I always recheck the whole as coin spills are common here. Sure enough, a loud signal still there. I use the Sunray and discover the second target is in the edge of my hole. I remove some dirt and see a second well worn Barber quarter(1905) :o. Curious as to why someone was carrying two worn out Barbers. Maybe they were collected by a kid in the 40's or someone kept them in their pocket as keepsakes, who knows. Another merc later and 3 rosies along with numerous wheats and clads.
IM000716.jpg

IM000715.jpg

Upvote 0

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
WTG,daytondigger Those are some sweet finds !!!!! Man thats a lot of silver and a lot of digging.Good luck on your next hunt. :thumbsup:

R

RUDY2003

Woa Dayton!!! :o You have a fantastic picnic site. It's loaded!!!!
Be sure and keep hydrated this weekend, gonna be hot...... :angry4:

Keep safe...

Keith

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Oh man.... you had to be smiling ear to ear. ;D
Keep hitting that site.
Mike

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great hunt, congrats on the finds, very nice :thumbsup:
Glenn

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
You better keep that site a secret. I know a few other Dayton-area detectorists that would love to find a spot like that. Nice hunting!!

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Dayton, A very nice assortment of beauties!!! Coins that are worn even keep their beauty after all these yrs. don't they? HH Tom

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, that's my kind of site!!

Work it well, Daytondigger!! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread