Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    us
    Mar 2007
    Michigan
    Whites V3i
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: 1877 Indian. WOW

You may want to think about getting it "conserved" before you try to get it slabbed.

Take a look at this place http://www.ncscoin.com/conservation/index.asp

I believe that they are the ones who restored many shipwreck coins to their original state.

Congrats on the key find and good luck.

Scott (MI)

us
    Apr 2008
    GA
    Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter

I would have to just sit there and admire that baby for awhile before doing anything with it. LIBERTY is so clear! Super find and I also would consider NCS for verification, cleaning, and maybe slabbing in an NGC holder. Congrats

Nov 2004
    Indian Wells Valley, CA
    73 times

Amazing find Marty! You have found the most rare Indian Head...one that most people only dream of finding.

Considering the excellent condition of the obverse, it's definately worth taking your time researching the best way to get the reverse cleaned up. Keep us updated and let us know your progress.
    Silverseeker; Indian Wells Valley, CA

6000 Di Pro SL, M6

Mar 2008
    17 times

Good Morning!
    Now that is an Indian Head ! That has to be the best condition 1877 anyone has ever pulled out of the ground. I think you are wise in being very careful cleaning it. It probably would be worth investing in a professional cleaning, but I wanted to tell you about some products that are available to clean heavily encrusted coins. I have collected coins for many years, and I was curious about those lots of freshly dug ancients offered on ebay. I bought a few small lots, and for the most part, it's a lot of work, and the end results aren't that great. It's just that it's so much darn fun! The ancient metals crystallize and the edges of the platchet chip off. The metal alloys react at different rates, so there is usually a lot of pitting, or you will have one good side and one bad side. Your 1877 cent doesn't seem to have either of those problems. One seller from Texas, jrmorrow on ebay, offers a line of products that are specifically formulated for particular encrustations. They aren't real expensive either. About $5.95/4? oz. bag, plus small shipping fee. I don't have anything to work on right now, but next time I get a bunch of dirty ancient bronze, I'm going to give this stuff a try. He gets a lot of customers who give good feedback for the products, so it must work.
    The 1877 is the key, everyone knows that. I had a f-vf years ago and had to sell my collection to pay bills. I thought I'd just buy one back when I got back on my feet. Well guess what? Sometimes
    when you have the money, there isn't anything to buy. When there is, it's going to cost you a heck of a lot more than what you sold a similar piece for. So, after all of these years, I am priced out of the market. Your find was better than about anything else I can think of. You have a real prize. Congratulations!!

May 2008

WOW and I mean WOOOOWWWWW!!! 900 Indians, thats place must have been a mint back before it became a park... I don't know anything about coins. But I would trust the advice from all the people on this wonderful site we have! And by God if they say 2000.00 dollar penny then I believe em. Great find!!!! HH Tom P.S. Isn't this the best hobby ever?!!

us
    Apr 2007
    Southern CA
    Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
    2 times

You have found the most rare Indian Head...
    It's not the rarest IH in terms of mintage (1909S is the rarest), but that is one of the most expensive IH's to add to your collection. Major congrats to you.....I imagine after finding over 900 of them at your park, a few would be really prized ones. That's insane!!!!! You said 900...right?

The obverse of your coin looks great, the back of your coin, I can't make out a thing. I'm curious to see how/if NCS will conserve your coin. Many of their examples on their website are conserving silver/gold coins...I saw a few nickels conserved too, but not as heavily encrusted as the reverse of your coin is.

Still, a fantastic find!! If you could get 2K for that coin, I'd sell it!!

Congrats,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab etrac
    125 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Nice find Marty.

I'm still looking for that 77 myself. It would take alot of power to keep me away from a park like that. Lot of sloppy hunters out there that ruin it for the rest of us.

HH Jer

Mar 2008
    17 times

Oops! It's "jrmorro" who sells the cleaning chemicals for encrusted coins on ebay.
    Good Luck Everybody !!

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting

Congrats on an awesome find....it stinks that NY just pulled two parks off their approved detecting list. I received a letter from the NY park commission about the change about two months ago.

NJ

us
    Sep 2006
    lost in Wisconsin
    Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
    2 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Start experimenting on the common dates.
    I noticed that no-one really utilizes all the signature space provided, so I figured to be REALLY original I would make up the longest signature that I could and probably just leave it as one big run on sentence because all that punctuation just takes up way too much space-HH.

us
    Seeker Of Lost And Purposely Discarded Antiquities

Jul 2008
    Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
    White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II

Marty, that's one S-W-E-E-T indian!!! Congratulations on this scarce recovery!

Larry
    A "Hunted-Out" Area Is A Place Others Have Given Up On"

May 2008

I wonder if you were to write the park commission a letter and asked them if you were to pay a permission to hunt fee if they would change the law or just screw up all the other free hunting areas? It sounds to me though that pretty soon all the parks will probably be off limits due to the inconsiderate few out there that give our wonderful hobby a very bad name. Well good luck finding another sweet spot. HH Tom

Mar 2008
    Chicago IL
    Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
    63 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I cant beleave this isn't on the banner yet!~!!!

Whats going on
    Come check out my MD'ing videos:
    http://youtube.com/user/TreasureFiend

us
    Jan 2007
    West Virginia, USA
    Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar
    1 times

WOW thats awesome

us
    Jun 2008
    NJ
    Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
    325 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by toolman61
    I wonder if you were to write the park commission a letter and asked them if you were to pay a permission to hunt fee if they would change the law or just screw up all the other free hunting areas? It sounds to me though that pretty soon all the parks will probably be off limits due to the inconsiderate few out there that give our wonderful hobby a very bad name. Well good luck finding another sweet spot. HH Tom
    I think the park is gone for good. Whenever we were there we were so bummed at the amount of unfilled holes and knew it was a matter of time. I filled in hundreds myself and actually approached 2 guys one day leaving unfilled holes. One of the guys got very violent and wanted to fight and waved his digging tool in my face. I told myself it wasnt worth it and retreated to detect. I remember having a good day but was very disturbed and knew the dectecting privelage would not last long. The letter I got with the new updated permit basically says dont bother coming here- detecter will be confiscated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsors