1877 Indian. WOW

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I havent been out in about 4 weeks due to my busy work scedule but had some time to clean some recent finds (Indians). Me and my dectecting buds have found many indians in this spectacular park ( witch is now banned to detecting). we would get 15- 30 each an outing. My best indian day was 34 and my friend Randy had a 42 indian day. Needless to say we accumulated quite a few, I myself have about 900 from this now off limits park. The east coast is horrible to Indians so I would just place them in a holder for later cleaning, most are common dates but some are the goodies. I would guess this Indian came from one of our May 2008 hunts because it was near the top of my pile of coins to be cleaned. This 1877 came from a 2 sandwich coin find (i always leave my sandwiched coins together till home and I just put a bunch in olive oil for cleaning and when I broke them apart i was sooooo happy to see the elusive date. The back of the coin has that east coast rock hard deposit on it. I cleaned the front of with a toothpick and olive oil an it cam clean quite easily, the back appears to be a much harder job. It has a full liberty and i would like to get it all cleaned up. Are there any professional places to clean this coin and maybe get it slabbed? I dont want to damage the back with my toothpick trick and I have tried 0000 steel wool in the past but this coin is too pretty to try that on. Any ideas on the way to get this coin back to its full beauty would be helpfull. I enclosed a pic of some of my uncleaned indians, what a job I have ahead of me but now I am driven.
NJ Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0218 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0218 (Medium).JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 5,162
  • IMG_0219 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0219 (Medium).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,101
  • IMG_0211_1.JPG
    IMG_0211_1.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 5,117
  • IMG_0224 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0224 (Medium).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 5,043
  • IMG_0215_1 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0215_1 (Medium).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 4,964
Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Thats awesome that you guys got so many indian head pennies! Very nice job on the exclusive date!!! :thumbsup:

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
wow that is some find.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jack(IN) said:
I once saw a better 1877 pulled out of the ground from a fellow named Tom from Cincinnati, OH that was about as beautiful a coin pulled from the ground could be. BUT, this Indian is a super find and STILL on my wish list and I would take on in terrible condition!! Since you've found one I will also say congrats to you on a great find!!

I just saw five old coins that were dug from a site in OH. Four large cents and one 2 center...they were all immaculate condition. Makes me want to drive out to OH but I'll have to wait until gas prices come down a little more...

By the way congrats on the Banner Marty

NJ

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I must've been jonesen on this one Marty,sorry......Unbelievable find there and Congrat's on the Banner.....right where it should be!!!!! :thumbsup: Best of Luck with the clean-up and grading!!!!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Great coin man, congratulations on making the banner too!! :thumbsup:

Steve

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Congrats on a really, really nice IH. You can still read the "Liberty" in the headband. Wow, what a great find. GL and HH

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, 800 indians.... Thats unheard of. Why so many indians in that park? Congrats on your rare find. That is a survivor for sure :thumbsup:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow. To think that there are still parks out there that produce 30 IH's in a day is a little mind boggling. You would think that they would have been pounded by now - like the parks around Albany, NY.

As for the now "off limits". It's a shame but I'm glad you got as many as you did before they put the smackdown. The guy that got voilent - did you approach him with the "we will all loose our detecting priveleges" approach? I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered. It is also hard to believe people can be so stupid. :sad1:

Anyway - thanks for sharing your spectacular finds. I usually only get about a dozen IH's a year. ::)

Bob

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Mirage said:
- like the parks around Albany, NY.

You aren't kidding. There are a couple of old parks and a number of old mills that are still tucked away in the woods and have been forgotten though. It's just a matter of finding them, but you are right there isn't going to be anywhere to pull 30 indians from in a day (penny pitch area?). So do we know if the reverse of this indian cleaned up or not? The obverse is immaculate.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue on earth how I missed this post.. but Marty BIG time congrats, I think I would of fallen over sure.. and from NJ as well... alls I can say is.. Holey Moley... That coin is totally awesome and your one very lucky man. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I found this to be a very insightful post. Not only your good fortune in finding so many IHC's, and the key 1877, but the advise others gave on cleaning, restoring, etc. I had no idea water could be poison to a dug coin, I had heard about the cleaning wiht olive oil then not being able to use any other methods due to the oil being absorbed by the porous metal.
It's a shame that worthless so-and-so became angry and violent, and NO, citing that crap like this could ruin for everyone wouldn't have worked on a numbskull like that. I probably would have just said "You're an ("I" word that has been erased from my posts in the past, although I was referring to MYSELF then)" Too bad about losing this hot spot, good luck in your trying to reclaim your hunting grounds. Peace..

can dr.

Aug 28, 2008
Nice coin! I have found 2 1877, they make for a nice day. I do not know when you posted this, but hope you have not harmed the coin. My brother, and I have been detecting for some time, over 30 years, and have one of those old recreation areas in the woods in Massachusetts that we have been pulling indians out for over ten years. Your coin is beautiful ! use spagetti to clean. Because it is is softer then the copper it will not damage it. you will clean all that crud off the front. As for the back it may work as well, but without the coin in hand, and giving it a run the back is an unknown. Most indiand I work come very clean, but some are very fussy. Do not use anything costick as you most likley will damage your coin. I recomend, and chalenge the coin hunters to try spegetti----------- You will love it! However, I can not take credit for the Idea, my brother found it on the internet when I was looking to clean my first 1877.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.......Scratch one 1877 Indian head off the (Items find list) Nice job!

ARTCARNOD

Dec 19, 2008
I have found a coin like this. It's the size of a silver dollar, copper with a nickle coating. The reverse is the same as the Buffalo nickle. It is in very good condition, the word 'liberty' on the headress band is still complete and the lines on the edge are all there. It has a slight bend as though it had something heavy had fallen on it while it rested on soft earth or sand. I have an old coin book that shows pictures of 1877 half-dimes, only the book only shows the face side and the indian head is different than what you see here. I'll try and get some pics up soon. Also, there is no mint mark. The e plurbus unum over the buffalo's back is still legible on my coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions