1877 Indian. WOW

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I havent been out in about 4 weeks due to my busy work scedule but had some time to clean some recent finds (Indians). Me and my dectecting buds have found many indians in this spectacular park ( witch is now banned to detecting). we would get 15- 30 each an outing. My best indian day was 34 and my friend Randy had a 42 indian day. Needless to say we accumulated quite a few, I myself have about 900 from this now off limits park. The east coast is horrible to Indians so I would just place them in a holder for later cleaning, most are common dates but some are the goodies. I would guess this Indian came from one of our May 2008 hunts because it was near the top of my pile of coins to be cleaned. This 1877 came from a 2 sandwich coin find (i always leave my sandwiched coins together till home and I just put a bunch in olive oil for cleaning and when I broke them apart i was sooooo happy to see the elusive date. The back of the coin has that east coast rock hard deposit on it. I cleaned the front of with a toothpick and olive oil an it cam clean quite easily, the back appears to be a much harder job. It has a full liberty and i would like to get it all cleaned up. Are there any professional places to clean this coin and maybe get it slabbed? I dont want to damage the back with my toothpick trick and I have tried 0000 steel wool in the past but this coin is too pretty to try that on. Any ideas on the way to get this coin back to its full beauty would be helpfull. I enclosed a pic of some of my uncleaned indians, what a job I have ahead of me but now I am driven.
NJ Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0218 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0218 (Medium).JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 5,162
  • IMG_0219 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0219 (Medium).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,101
  • IMG_0211_1.JPG
    IMG_0211_1.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 5,117
  • IMG_0224 (Medium).JPG