CHughes77

Jul 24, 2008
New Castle,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w\ Sunray X1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats up everyone!
I have found some nice coins this week, which for me being a beginner still I would say a I have been lucky! Last wedns day I went out with a buddy from Indy to hunt a local park. I was happy to go home with a Merc. 4 Wheaties, a bunch of clad, and a old 2 barrel U.S.Mail padlock that was 11 inches down! If I had the key I bet it would work! The next day I was excited as all get out to find a 1920S Silver Half Walking Liberty! :o Then the next day I went back to that area and 4 ft away I get a signal that was kinda bouncin around the smartfind screen a bit, but all in good areas. What the heck I dug it up, and 7 inches down I find a pretty high grade 1929 SLQ, and a 1942 Merc touching each other so close they tarnish themselves! I check the hole and another 2 inches down was a 1905 "V" Nickel!! I thought I couldnt find any better that day, then a couple holes later I found a 1862 Civil War trade token, or Store Card they call them. It looked like a IH at first, but the Indian face was differant w/ stars around him. Then on the back I could read....
J.B.Pleistiener, Fancy Goods & Notions, 555 Vine St., ST 15 & Liberty, Cinncinnati. After that I was flippin out! I talked to another metal detecting buddy on another forum who has a book on "CW Store Cards", they call them. :icon_scratch: Any way he proceeds to tell me that in his book this exact "store card", is ranked 7 from 1- 10 on the rarity scale, and only 10-20 in existance!!!!! :o So now Iam wondering first of all should I clean it up better with something? Also how much is this worth out of curiousity?? Iam not going to sell it just wondering! :wink: If anyone can leave me some more insight, history, etc. on this please let me know! Thanks!!!

Attachments

• storecard2.jpg
    storecard2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 704
  • storecard1.jpg
    storecard1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 692
Upvote 0

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1867 Civil War trade token (store card)

Welcome to Treasure Net! I really like that IH and the others coins sound nice too, but CW stuff rules.:thumbsup:

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

Cool token. I haven't found a store card yet. :-\
You did have me worried some when you said Civil War Token and the date of 1867 though. :tard:
Great..you fixed it. Didn't want anyone else to be skeptical...lol.

Super find!
:icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Very Nice job on that trade token..That might be worth a dime or two....I bet more.... :icon_sunny: jgas

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

digitaldevil7777 said:
Also how much is this worth out of curiousity?

Welcome to TNet, and congrats on a great find! :thumbsup:

The Civil War Token Collectors' Guide by Byron Kanzinger lists it at $25 in Fine-Very Fine condition.

The Standard Catalog of United States Tokens, 1700-1900 by Russell Rulau lists it at $10 in Very Good condition; and $20, Very Fine.

OP
OP
CHughes77

CHughes77

Jul 24, 2008
New Castle,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback everyone! ;D PBK I appreciate the info. on the store card. Might not be worth major$$ but is worth a million to me! :) I have been checking out the TNET site and I am really impressed from the details in the options the members have access to! :thumbsup: I first heard of the site from RicardoNY's Utube MDing videos he has posted. Glad I stopped by, and you guys will me around here more. ;D HH......Chris-dd

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Congratulations, nice civil war store card. That's right up my alley. I love those tokens :thumbsup: :coffee2:.....I just added the cup of coffee, 'cause I've never figured where that would fit in and I hated to neglect it.

R

RUDY2003

Superb find on the rare token!!! Great job...

Keep safe...

Keith

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, you have found a lot of coins on my list of finds, that I have yet to find.
WTG.

OP
OP
CHughes77

CHughes77

Jul 24, 2008
New Castle,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone! :thumbsup: I will post some more stuff up soon, I am waiting on a new lens for my DSLR to take some good macro shots. I plan on posting some of my recent finds when it arrives! :wink: HH........Chris-dd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread