2nd Regiment Button

fonfixer

Feb 18, 2008
blanchard, la
Detector(s) used
dfx
This here is my third attempt at posting this, if it don't go threw this time then i'll quit!!! Anyhow went hunting this past weekend with friends found near Baton Rouge, found clad coins, lots of nails, odd bits of iron and a button. Got home Sunday evening and let the button soak for about half hour. When I rinsed it under running water I saw an eagle! A little more rinsing and I could make out"II REGt" below the eagle. The first thing that I noticed when I started researching was that all the buttons and coins that were similar had the eagle facing to the left, but this one faces to the right and is holding a single arrow in his left claw and a tree branch in his right. Anybody have an clues as to what state this second regiment would be from? How old roughly is the button?

Attachments

• Button8m.jpg
    Button8m.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! Roughly... 200 years old.

What is the backmark? (it can probably be dated without if hard to read)

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That is one awesome button! Nice work.

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
That's one nice looking button. Great find, and keep searching! :thumbsup:

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug,

Beautiful find my friend and a great photo!! Keep up the good work!!! :thumbsup:

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX
Excellent find Doug. Hope someone here can give you a little info on it, I'd be curious myself on what the time frame is on it.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, Doug :thumbsup: That's one sweet looking button coming out of the Louisiana dirt. ;D

:wink: RR

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a War of 1812 era button, possibly a variant of the U.S. Officer's Infantry button GI 50 in Albert's book. Not sure if it would be associated with any state as a state button, have not looked that deeply into that possibilty, since variants of listed buttons are more likely.
That is a nice piece of history you have found.

Suggest you google 2nd Regiment(Infantry) War of 1812 for some history of the regiment and locations of battles they were involved in.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread