Found....Lyme this week--a reminder and some humor

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
This post is reminder to all to check everywhere, slowly and carefully, for ticks and get them out in 24 hours or less (key timeframe to avoid Lyme). If you start to feel weird pains like I did, do something about it. Most of us are guys and we tend to ignore stuff relating to health. A couple weeks ago I started having these really bad pains in my head, on my scalp and inside my head. I ignored it for awhile, but my brain was telling me something is wrong. Finally I went and got some tests and sure enough, Lyme. It's just three weeks of antibiotics and I should be as good as new (or as I was at 44 anyway). The thing is if you ignore this it can cause severe and long term health problems. Note that my head pains went away just after I went to the doctor to get tests, but before I started taking any medication. I can say that if I hadn't gone when I did and the pain went away, I would have kept ignoring it and it could have caused a bigger problem. Point being listen to your body when it tells you something. Better to be careful and learn there's nothing wrong than to have a bigger problem later. By the way, do the ticks have a forum like this? If so, here would be the post...)

Today's Finds

Handle: BloodSucka Bill Title of Post: Got 44 Year Old Human This Weekend!

Dudes, won't believe this good fortune. Was hanging out on a leaf this weekend when this guy with a metal detector comes right by
and I did a little swan dive onto his shirt and it was a short trip up the neck and the rest was history. Nice blood flow, distinctive taste
some nice indoor air conditioning later in the day, a nap, life is good. Hope the dude has health insurance. Keep an eye out for those detectorists. Easy pickens. Bloodsucka Bill

Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Wow,
Thank you for the alert! I always heard ticks were dangerous but never imagined a bite could cause so many problems!
Glad to know you got yourself treated and all is A-Okay!

GRB

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
my son got lyme disease when he was 15. got it cutting our yard in phila. he was bit in the head and his head blew up like a ballon. they thought he had meningitis . lyme can mimic thousands of other diseases so a blood test is needed to detect it. if not detected early enough, it can lead to more serious ailments such as heart disease. my son is now a landscaper and is battling it for the third time. ever see a 23 yr old male who is exhausted as soon as he wakes,has light sensitivity that gives him migrains and is unable to work for more than an hour at a time? it breaks your heart. i also have a friend who was bitten before they knew what lyme was and he spent years with a walker due to not being diagnosed properly.
by the way the tick that will give you lyme is a juvenile no bigger than the size of the period at the end of this sentence.not the big fat ones you pick off the dog. unless you feel it you'll never know its there. my son regularly checks for ticks yet failed to find them twice. tuck your pants in your socks. spray repellant and shake and brush off your clothes each time you are afield. this is still no gaurantee. also you are most likely to get lyme in the spring. be safe .h.h.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
pookie ...just tell her to make sure she runs the full course on her meds.even if she feels better. its worse if it comes back. another thing to worry about is that 3 years from now she will still test positive, so if you are bit again theres no way of telling in that time period.sorry if i sound negative but its something to think about and tell her to take preventive measures each time she goes into an area where ticks frequent. including your own back yard. hope she feels better.
mistergee

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Handle: Tick Tock
Latest find: 70 year old retiree

Got out for a late hunt last evening, didn't expect much...heard a loud tone, turned and there was a capped-man!!! I could tell the date clearly, even though he was well worn.
I jumped on his back and went down the collar and did the happy-dance!!! I carry spotted fever, not the higher-end lyme like some of you guys, but it still works okay.

HH!!!

Tick Tock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread