1953 10k class ring.....now what?

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
A little help from anyone. First things first. I am very new to this. This was my third or fourth trip out. Maybe 8 or 9 hours of detecting. To my surprise, I found this 10k gold class ring from 1953 along with a few wheat pennies from the late forty's early fifty's. The park was established in the mid 50's (no big surprise here). Now back to the ring, it has the initials of the school and the person it belongs to. Now the school is in the adjacent town and it appears to belong to a female. (Quite small in ring size). If my calculations are correct, this female would be around 70 and most likely have a married last name. I am going to make my best effort to find the original owner. My question to you guys, would you go the extra mile to return this? Or just let things be?

New guy is who just curious

Well heres my "today's find" (sorry the pic is blurry, maybe I can find a better camera

Attachments

• ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 515
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes ,I would do everything that I could to return it.Kharma does exist.Just imagine the joy it it would bring you if you were in her shoes and she retuned it to you after a long absence.Thats just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
W

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Northwest Illinois, I've read stories where schools won't give out information. ?It's a private school also, so I am sure that avenue is out. ?I've lived in this community for 39 years, so finding a 1953 yearbook shouldn't be a problem. ?The problem is, it would be her maiden name, so more research would be the involved to find her married name. ?She may even have passed on. ?52 years is long time to be out of school. ?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Doug, If you can locate and return that ring to the owner or her survivors it will definitely bring more joy than keeping it ever will. With that kind of beginners luck Im sure youll have many "impersonal" treasures in the future. .....HH......JO

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i agree with jimmy and jopher, try to return it.if you cannot contact her then i would keep it,but only after i tried to contact her. nice find by the way!!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
P.S. If you do make the connection call your local small town? paper. People love a story like that and it will give the locals a positive image of MDers.Who knows ,it may even open a few doors for you (other sites to hunt)!!.....JO

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
Illinoisdoug, you anywheres near Freeport or Rockford? ?I'm over near the Rock myself. ?And like you, only been MDing for about 6 weeks now and lovin it.

Congrats on that ring and it may not be as difficult as you think to find the previous owner, I'd give it a good try.

Hobo

OP
OP
W

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Hobo, down in the Rock Falls/Sterling area. The class ring, I believe is from the catholic high school. I will find the owner. May take a little time. Its been sitting in the ground for fifty years. In a park I played in as a child in the earlier 70's. Apparenty, its never been detected. I found about five or six wheat pennies pretty close to the ring. No silver though. Think I may go back tomorrow and look some more.

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Monetary value can't be much on 10k, the reward of seeing the smile on her face would likely be worth MUCH more, and knowing you did the right thing would seal the deal... ;) Good luck in your search to find the owner...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find if you can keep it or not. If it can and should be returned then do so. Plus, If your not into all the sentimental stuff and you want cash. I am sure a woman of that age will happly give you a reward. (Don't ask for one)

Keep up the good work, HH!!

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
I found one earlier this year and was able to return it and I barely got a atta boy.But for the next month I found a lot of cool stuff incl nice keeper coins and misc jewelry,so I believe good karma will follow you.

peace,bigrig

N

Neptunus Rex

Very nice find whatever you decide to do about returning. I have only found one class ring in 26 years of hunting. I have a cousin who hunts swimming holes and has a jewelry box shaped and fashioned like an old pirates chest and it overflows with his fortune.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The school may have an Alumni group that keeps track of addresses for reunions. Or find a yearbook with some other names from that class and check with some of them. There is usually someone in each class that organizes class reunions. Shouldn't be hard to find. If you arent far away, go to their school library and they should have a copy of the annual from that year. Go to the school office and see if they can help identifying the individual.

Masonlid

Mar 14, 2005
good ole Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre U Max
I returned a class ring that had been lost for 48 yrs(class of'44).Try writing a letter to your local paper,that's what helped me find the owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread