FIRE! Never EVER throw....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll post it here because I looked through the forums and saw nothing listed for STUPID MOVES. After hunting the park I posted earlier, I went back to the pickup to stow my gear. The batteries for the scorpion were DEAD so I replaced them. I threw the DEAD ones into the open toolbox in the capped bed. I sat on the bumper to take my kneepads off. I smelled something burning! I stood up to see a piece of 0000 steelwool in the toolbox ablaze in embers! I could not slap it out. It was very close to a half full can of gas. I had no choice. I had to grab it and throw it to the ground to stomp it out. Lesson: Never EVER go metal detecting barefoot! .... just kidding.... the lesson is "dipose of batteries properly". 'nough said. TTC

Upvote 0

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
You know what they say " If it weren't for bad luck, that boy wouldn't have any at all". Seriously, glad it wasn't any worse.

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX
TerryC,

You could possibly get a STUPID Medal for that one, but it definitely will not be the gold medal. I think I've got that one sowed up. :tongue3: And no, I'm not gonna tell the story that qualifies me for the GOLD.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
LOL. I wish I had a video.
You gotta be careful to not let metal touch both ends.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wildrider said:
Wildrider,
A little joke. The sundayschool teacher asked Johnny.... if you go to church on sunday, will you go to heaven? He said no....If you give to the church, will you go to heaven? He said no... If you pray everyday, will you go to heaven? He said no. The teacher then asked Johnny what must he do to go to heaven? Johnny replied.... I gotta die first!

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.C. Do not forget to take your battries out of the detector when storing them for the winter. I have not had a problem with that, but I do know others that have. And that is my tip for the day. Glad your O.K.!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes TerryC, I'm glad you didn't blow yourself up or sumthin" !!!

HH,
Rick

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
thrillathahunt said:
Yikes TerryC, I'm glad you didn't blow yourself up or sumthin" !!!

HH,
Rick

what a way to go though!
"he died in a metal detecting accident" :icon_scratch:

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet a lot of us do the same thing...........I had a backpack that I threw extra batteries in , along with all the

other junk and change that you take out of your pocket. After some time later,(hours or day later)

I went to get something out of the bag and grabbed a handful of "hot coins". Those batteries were charging

the coins........A LESSON LEARNED............... :icon_study:

Thanks for the reminder.......be safe...........

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Good heads-up TerryC. Those batteries are much more dangerous than they look.
I once had to change my batteries in the field and I tucked my old ones into my trash pouch. Stupid move, when your throwing bottle tops and aluminum foil on top of them... I felt the pouch getting a little warm and realized what I had done. Luckily, I was able to get them out before any damage was done.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt in any way,
Stay safe, & Happy hunting~

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
TerryC said:
I'll post it here because I looked through the forums and saw nothing listed for STUPID MOVES. After hunting the park I posted earlier, I went back to the pickup to stow my gear. The batteries for the scorpion were DEAD so I replaced them. I threw the DEAD ones into the open toolbox in the capped bed. I sat on the bumper to take my kneepads off. I smelled something burning! I stood up to see a piece of 0000 steelwool in the toolbox ablaze in embers! I could not slap it out. It was very close to a half full can of gas. I had no choice. I had to grab it and throw it to the ground to stomp it out. Lesson: Never EVER go metal detecting barefoot! .... just kidding.... the lesson is "dipose of batteries properly". 'nough said. TTC

Yes, but you could have had your own Man vs. Wild show!! How to start a fire with some batteries.. steel wool.. and a can of gas~~ ;-)

Actually, you brought back a great memory for me.. my Dad starting a fire that way once when we ran out matches camping....

MonkeyBoy

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy everything was alright.
I always carry a 9 volt and steel wool on backpack camping trips to to start fires because it better than using matches. It still works when wet.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
jimb said:
T.C. Do not forget to take your battries out of the detector when storing them for the winter. I have not had a problem with that, but I do know others that have. And that is my tip for the day. Glad your O.K.!

Who stores hteir detector for the winter??????? ROFL

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
TerryC said:
wildrider said:
Wildrider,
A little joke. The sundayschool teacher asked Johnny.... if you go to church on sunday, will you go to heaven? He said no....If you give to the church, will you go to heaven? He said no... If you pray everyday, will you go to heaven? He said no. The teacher then asked Johnny what must he do to go to heaven? Johnny replied.... I gotta die first!

Honest answers...let's hope he is saved first.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC said:

You tell some people steel wool will burn and they think your off your rocker. I learned that in the Marines in safety school. Yes, steel wool will burn, and hot :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread