Wahoo !!!!!! A dream comes true !!!!

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Research and hard work finally paid off in a huge way !!!!

I was finding mostly late 1800's relics and coins but knew the area was farmed as early as the 1640's so the potential was there for something really old to come out of the ground. I have been dreaming of finding one of these coins for years. I have seen 'Tree Coins' dug by other hunters which was quite a thrill. But, nothing compares to locating and digging one for yourself.

It's a 1662 Oak Tree Two Pence. It's the tiny thing next to the Barber and Mercury dimes. It's not in great shape but it's not holed or bent and it's the prettiest thing I've dug in the 30+ years that I've been detecting and I couldn't be happier !!!

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting !!!

Brian in MA

Attachments

• DSC01807.jpg
    DSC01807.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 6,220
Upvote 0

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Brian! Those are nice finds!
Mike

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Come On!! :o

If that's the best thing you have found in 30+ years of detecting, then it deserves a better pic.

Let's see a closeup of the front and back of the coin!! I'm sure the mods would love a good pic of it for the BANNER!!! :occasion18:
Being on the West coast, I've never seen this type of coin before.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Very Nice finds - Thats an oldie for sure!

Congrats on digging on of your dreams, research pays off in the end.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER bigtime on that one! Man that is something else. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture, Picture, please. a close up. Your teasing us I can't wait to see a close up.

Burdie

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find! My son and I found two 1788 Massachusetts cents last week, but both are pretty much unreadable. So at over 100 years older, I think your find is in incredible shape. You should be doing the happy dance!!!
Kevin

OP
OP
Brian in MA

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies guys... I'm still shaking !!!! I used that pic to show the size comparison to the dimes. This coin is tiny. But, since you all want to see close ups. Here they are: (hopefully when the wife gets home with the 'good' camera I can get some better pics...)

What a day !!!!

Brian

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 5,468
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 5,446

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
FIND OF A LIFETIME!!!

WOOO HOOOOO!!!!! :wav:

I'm excited for you, Brian!!! Thanks for the enlarged pics!!

This will be a day you will never forget!!

The Oak Tree twopence is both the simplest and the most complicated coin in the series. It is simple because there was only one obverse die and one reverse die, thus there is only one possible combination. However, Noe distinguished six different states in the recutting of the reverse die and gave each state a number (Noe 29-Noe 34). Since then other intermediary stages have been described, several of which are not recuttings but show the growth of a die break that occurred between the A and the N in "ENGLAND." Many extant examples of this coin are worn and it is virtually impossible to assign a precise number to them. An unusual situation when only one set of dies exists! This situation led Michael Hodder to publish his "Plea for Reason" in the use of the Noe numbers [Michael J. Hodder, "A Plea for Reason," The Colonial Newsletter 34 (November 1994, serial no. 98) 1476]. This coin is the only twopence denomination in the New England silver series and is the only coin in the series to bear a date other than 1652 (it is dated 1662), thus it is highly sought by collectors, but probably the most difficult coin to catalog in a precise fashion given the current taxonomy.

CAPTN SE
Dan

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy #$%^!Congratulations on a Banner find. That is definetly an old one, even though I have no idea what you found. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
Holy #$%^!Congratulations on a Banner find. That is definetly an old one, even though I have no idea what you found. :thumbsup:

That might be the quote of the week. :D

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Has to be a banner find, congrats on a sweet find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread