Whod have figured??

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Who'd have figured??

They are finally getting ready to widen the road in front of our place and have been tearing out strips of woods to the side of the road. They scooped our front yesterday. Today they were down at the corner where I've found some silver so I thought I'd check in the front today. Got down to the old home site on the corner and only saw a very large cottonmouth which I carefully watched and avoided since he was in the small stream. Didn't find anything from my driveway to the corner except and nice screw hook which always comes in handy. Then I detected in the front of our place. I expected lots and lots of car parts since lots of folks seem to like wrecking into other cars right in front of us. I got a nice solid hit and started digging. Boy was I surprised barely move any earth when I spy a tin and some shiny round things. Dug it out and it looked as if I had a beautiful day as well as a nice find. I guess someone probably stole the tin and got what they wanted out of it and then tossed it to the side of the road. I tried to wait until my wife came home to show her my new found cache but couldn't hold out or wait that long. The find looked better than it actually was. There were about 5 small keys with 3 being newer including 1 lane chest key. Two older skeleton type keys all being small in size. There was a Rosary with a broken chain, the cross stamped France (not sterling :-( Another broken necklace with silvertoned beads, much smaller goldtoned beads and some nice glass ones. Not sure what the metal content the beads might be but each bead was knotted on both ends and I believe it is an older broken necklace. There was also a nice small old style leather change purse and I immediately checked that out. Too bad so sad it was totally empty. I ripped it apart later hoping to find anything sewn in between or stashed but again totally empty. Been finding my share of clad when and if I get out and I'm now leaning towards the tot lots because I don't have to dig someones yard up, ask for permission and the hunting is plentiful most of the time. I've found a small silver .925 ring at one and a nice silver .925 dolphin pendant at another. Can't wait for them to clear out more area here even though I'd much rather keep the woods. But like I tell the folks at them tot lots when they see me pull out a coin or two....you can't stop progress. I am always enjoying the nice finds other folks are posting in here. Happy hunting.

P.S. ..... The cottonmouth sighting was pretty much unexpected and something I sure could have done without seeing as how the location is only a couple lots down from me. It's still too close for comfort though.

Attachments

• TREASURE.002..jpg
    TREASURE.002..jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 389
  • TREASURE.001..jpg
    TREASURE.001..jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: Who'd have figured??

Hey man, cool story!
Congrats on finding the tin full of goodies!
One surely must wonder how it got there and the story behind it.
Ignore that Cottonmouth; he's only looking for a frog! :)

GRB

Dirt Chaser

Aug 6, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Wow, a mini-cache tin; whodathoughtit! I've dug my share of tins over the yrs but never thought there might be goodies in them. Nice find.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

Cool cache find. I know what you mean about given that snake a wide berth. Had my run in with a rattler this past May. I would detect more of the graded area for more goodies.... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread