Better Pic - Diamonds in the rough at a So Cal beach tonight!!!!!

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
IMG_8554.jpg

Drove 5 and a half hours south yesterday with my wife and two boys to visit my brother and his family in Southern California. I debated whether to bring along the detectors or not, and my wife (bless her) said "you might as well pack them along, because you know you are going to wish you had them if you don't".

Well, we got to our destination pretty late in the afternoon yesterday, so no time to detect as we were busy visiting with my brother and his wife and daughter.

Today we went to town and walked around and did some shopping, and before I knew it, it was already 6:30pm. My brother and I decided to drive out to the closest ocean beach near him, which was about a 25 minute drive, and when we got there around 7pm, they told us they locked the gate to the parking lot at 8pm, so we only had an hour to detect.

I gave my brother my Explorer II and told him to detect the dry and high side of the wet sand - he had tennis shoes and jeans on, so couldn't go into the surf anyways.

I took my Excalibur into the low side of the wet sand and into the surf, and immediately realized that this surf was powerful, and the force of the waves sucking back out was pretty scary, so I couldn't go in deep at all.

In about 2 minutes I had a solid hit on the Excalibur, and in my first scoop I saw GOLD! I reached in and pulled it out, and saw a bunch of diamonds too, so I scooted back up to my brother to show him what my first find was.

After that I was too pumped up to concentrate much on what I was doing, and I realized I was scanning the sand at lightning speed and very randomly. Then around 7:30pm on my watch the crew working at the beach came and told me they were locking up in 15 minutes. After debating with them about what time it really was I realized I was going to lose no matter what, and I was in no condition to keep detecting anyways - I wanted to get home to check out this ring better.

I'm 41, and my brother is a few years older than I am. We laughed so hard in the car because neither one of us could read the markings inside the ring because our sight is getting so bad. I need cheaters for this sort of thing, or a magnifying glass or something.

Turns out it is 14K, and I think there is a good chance these are real diamonds. There are 13 diamonds on the ring, which maybe turned out to be bad luck for the owner, but good luck for me!

I am going to try to get up early in the morning and hit this beach again - I hope it is more calm than it was tonight so I can actually get out in the knee to waist deep water.

Attachments

• IMG_8533.JPG
    IMG_8533.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_8531.JPG
    IMG_8531.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_8537.JPG
    IMG_8537.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 844
Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Diamonds in the rough at a So Cal beach tonight!!!!!

That is one heck of a ring. Wish you the best of luck tomorrow...WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:
I would be willing to bet they are real. WTG Can't wait to see what else turns up for ya.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the gold and hope those diamonds are the real deal! HH, Mike

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the comments. I went back to the beach for about 90 minutes this morning, and aside from half a dozen clad coins, I got a matchbox firetruck and a big silver loop earring - not sure if it is real silver or not.

Funny how the first find a minute or so into the hunt last night turned up the gold diamond ring!

I guess it is a case of being in the right place at the right time.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say yes to real and it should be from KAY JEWELERS it looks exactly like my wedding set except it has the round stone and I have the Marquis.

nice find! Congrats

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice ring for sure

Congrats

Jeremy

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Beautiful. Congrats and thank your wife for suggesting you bring the detector along!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that is a sweet ring. WIsh i could find a keeper like that. I hope they are real.. Probably are. If you had a microscope you could put it under and see if it has inclusions..

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Had the ring tested today, and the diamonds are real. The jeweler said that the ring probably retailed in the $800 range.

So I'm excited that I found my first diamond ring. My wife on the other hand says to make sure they are much bigger diamonds next time :-\

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Gorgeous ring and major score!! FYI......I'm 46, I take a small magnifying glass with me on my hunts! :wink:

Congrats on a very nice find! :thumbsup:

HH,
Moon

Marius

Jun 24, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
Awesome ring :thumbsup:,looks like we both had luck on california beaches this week,where did you hunt?whith part of cali coast?

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCALIBUR STRIKES AGAIN!~

Great find, its beautiful! I laughed pretty hard about you both couldnt read the hallmark! But those are good times youll always remember especially with family!!

Great job and godo story!

Crackbadger out!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Sweet ring! Be careful out there, that undertow can pull you off your feet QUICK. I can sympathize with the old eyes. I don't bother trying too hard when I find stuff. I just throw it all in my pouch & check them out when I get home...if I find something that looks really good I get more enjoyment out of it until I get home & find out its junk. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread