Found a Merc But Couldnt Keep It! (long story for a dime)

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Found a Merc But Couldn't Keep It! (long story for a dime)

Okay, so I went to lunch in my office building just like every other day and the cashier was chatting while ringing me up. I know she's a coin collector because she gets excited when I pay in halfs, which I do from time to time :) She keeps them all though, silver or not (??) So, I see clear rolls of coins in her drawer and I tell her she can tell if they're silver coins by checking the edge.

Well she hands me a roll and says show me. I checked the first roll and didn't see any silver. She handed me the second roll and I said, "oh, here's a silver one." It was the third coin down so I popped out the first two and the third was a shiny '44 Merc. I couldn't believe it and she couldn't either. The customer behind us started immediately checking his change for silver.

I told her the Merc was a finder's fee for showing her the ropes but she wasn't having it. Her ear-to-ear grin would have to do for my fee.

I was little disappointed as I returned with my sandwich to my office. Later that day the same girl saw me in the hallway and immediately offered my dime back. She said she had discussed it with her coworkers and they had decided it was mine. Her face was long and sad and she looked like her dog has just died. Needless to say I smiled and told her to keep the dime. She was elated and ran off to tell her coworkers that I had let her keep it.

So, after being a good samaritan, I went out and bought every roll of dimes I could find (I have two banks in by building) but I couldn't even find a silver Roosie!

I'm still waiting on my good karma for a payback. I hate to say it but I checked the date before returning it. If it had been a 1916-D I would have ran for it. Maybe you don't get good karma if you check the date first.

Jason

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Re: Found a Merc But Couldn't Keep It! (long story for a dime)

Hey Ty,

I'm close to Hagerstown and would love to find a relic if you ever need company. I hunt a Silver uMax but I cut my teeth on a Di Pro 6000 as a kid in LA (lower Alabama) with my dad.

I could reciprocate with a hunt or two in Northern Virginia here. I have a line on a 1870's estate that was converted to private club. It's had tons of traffic in the last 90 years just not sure whether it's been hunted or not.

Just one of those buckles would be dream find for me.

Jason

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That was very nice of you.

I had a coworker give me a dime and say I know you like coins and I have this foreign dime I don't want. I looked down and it was a Merc. I explained that it was a US dime and silver but she told me to keep it anyways. So the silver is still out there floating around. I enjoy giving halves to kids...most of them have never seen one before and their eyes light up.

NJ

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good act of kindness...She'll remember that. Congrats and HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

N.J.THer said:
That was very nice of you.

I had a coworker give me a dime and say I know you like coins and I have this foreign dime I don't want. I looked down and it was a Merc. I explained that it was a US dime and silver but she told me to keep it anyways. So the silver is still out there floating around. I enjoy giving halves to kids...most of them have never seen one before and their eyes light up.

NJ
They're still out there alright....2 weeks ago I found 6 Barber dimes post 1900 while checking dime rolls. AMC

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

The tellers at my bank hate me I'm sure. I go in nearly every friday when my paycheck hits and buy up all the rolls of half dollars my paycheck can cover. I take em home, look through em and the ones that aren't silver (which is the majority of em) I take em back and deposit em again before the bank closes lol

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

CowboyKolo said:
The tellers at my bank hate me I'm sure. I go in nearly every friday when my paycheck hits and buy up all the rolls of half dollars my paycheck can cover. I take em home, look through em and the ones that aren't silver (which is the majority of em) I take em back and deposit em again before the bank closes lol
That ain't too cool. You need to find a "dump" bank. I can't blame your tellers.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice story.

Yep, there's silver and old coins out there yet.

Now and then I find a Silver Certificate too.

It's nothing to find wheats and silver war nickels in store change.

My folks had a sports store in the 50's and they received Indian head pennies in change..no biggie.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

AMC rulz said:
CowboyKolo said:
That ain't too cool. You need to find a "dump" bank. I can't blame your tellers.
I dont blame em either, but with limited transportation and time, I don't have much choice but to take it back where I got it from

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

CowboyKolo said:
AMC rulz said:
CowboyKolo said:
I dont blame em either, but with limited transportation and time, I don't have much choice but to take it back where I got it from
So then, you don't mind getting the same coins back every Friday?

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

LOL Well, I never thought about it like that, I guess I just assumed they wouldn't be the same...or at least not all of em

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason, that's a cool story. . . trust me, karma works :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread