WHAT A DAY!!! FIRST GOLD COIN OR TOKEN AND CIVIL WAR FINDS....

L

lovedigging

What a fabulous morning! I found my first gold coin dated 1854. If anyone can help me with information on this coin, I would greatly appreciate it. The third picture has 3 items (other than the coin) that I could use some help identifying. ???
Anyway, I went out this morning and hit the 10 x 10 circle I dug all the relics from (back in the Spring). I'd been waiting for it to dry up, it was a virtual mud pit back then. I had been thinking about cutting 6-8" down to see if I could pull anything missed out of it. My very first find was the eagle "I" button, then a few bullets, followed by lots of melted lead. When I ran out of signals, I moved on to another spot, and I'm glad I did. My first signal at this spot revealed another Eagle button, and within a few feet I dug the gold coin. Needless to say, after that I was too excited to keep digging. But on the way back to my truck, I did find a few other items, and the one bullet that I have no idea what it is... Hope you enjoy the pictures and can offer any help.

Attachments

• gold coin.JPG
    gold coin.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,435
  • gold coin2.JPG
    gold coin2.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,413
  • 4-things.JPG
    4-things.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,409
  • 3-buttons.JPG
    3-buttons.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,416
  • everything.JPG
    everything.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,405
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mix of finds there! Looks like that place was used at various times. A couple of things appear to be pre-Civil War to me. One being the oval item with rectangle hole / saddle hardware. The next being the brass trigger guard looking piece with crude etchings.

Good luck on your next hunt there!

Steve

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tcooper1 said:
romeo-1 said:
It looks like the gold is flaking off...can you post a close up pic?
Romeo, I tried getting a really close up of it but it's so small I couldn't get it to focus. It's not flaking I just didn't clean it all. I was affraid if it was really worth something and I scratched it I might make it worthless so I left it alone. Thank you for your reply...

It almost looks like white metal through the gold...might be just me...

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

civilman1 said:
Nice T....Let's hope you have the rare "14th Variety". :thumbsup: The oval piece in the third pic look's like a "guard plate",they were affixed around the rear of a saddle to allow tie down thong's to pass through.The one "bullet look's like a picket,do you have a size on it?.....Beautiful Find's T...keep em' coming,Congrat's :thumbsup:
Civil, Thanks for your help, I can alway's count on you. I took a couple more pictures of the bullet so hopefully these will help.

Attachments

• bullet1.JPG
    bullet1.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 700
  • bullet2.JPG
    bullet2.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 702
OP
OP
L

lovedigging

TEXAN Connection said:
Take a pic of the coin outside in full sunlight with a magnifying glass up agienst the lens of your camera.

According to capt SE link there are 13 Varieties but yours is Clearly diffrent from those 13, Perhaps you have a more rare one.
Texan, Thanks for the tip on the magnifying glass it worked well... Added a dime so you could see how small it is...

Attachments

• coin1.JPG
    coin1.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 690
  • coin2.JPG
    coin2.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 685

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there.....Thanks for sharing this wonderful find....I think that your next step would be to get it authenticated.....But be careful of people telling you that it is fake....and then wanting to purchase it from you!....Good look and hope that all turns out well....Steve

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tcooper1 said:
civilman1 said:
Nice T....Let's hope you have the rare "14th Variety". :thumbsup: The oval piece in the third pic look's like a "guard plate",they were affixed around the rear of a saddle to allow tie down thong's to pass through.The one "bullet look's like a picket,do you have a size on it?.....Beautiful Find's T...keep em' coming,Congrat's :thumbsup:
Civil, Thanks for your help, I can alway's count on you. I took a couple more pictures of the bullet so hopefully these will help.
Is that a .69 or a .58 next to it ?? .....Thank's

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

civilman1 said:
tcooper1 said:
civilman1 said:
Is that a .69 or a .58 next to it ?? .....Thank's
Civil, It's a .58...

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
For some reason I thought all "real" california gold tokens (real gold) had something along the bottom of the reverse such as "DOL" and/or some other marking for the fraction of the dollar. My dad has 4 "reproduction" california gold tokens, but it's been a long time since I did any research on them.

But, if the coin came from the same area as the CW era bullets, it may be real. There are way more reproductions than real one's out there though.

Never the less a great find, shure did spur some interesting conversation already!

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Sure looks like a very productive site you got there!! I hope the coin turns out to be real and worth some mucho dinero for you!!! HH Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread