13th-14th Century GOLD Stirrup Ring Updated. (Inquest Update.)..Outcome.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two weeks into a new season and I just might have found my best ever find :icon_sunny: the day started off with a phone call from my detecting partner Michael, he could not make it due to a family illness we were due to go to our usual haunt in North Yorkshire :-\

Any way I decided to go to a farm that is just 14 miles from were I live and were I have had some nice hammered, most of the land was still under crop but a small section of barley and rape seed stubble were detectable :thumbsup:

After three hours of scrap lead the odd button and shot gun catridges I moved to a ridge just above the flood plain of the river the area was very quiet , on my second run down I received a sweet two way signal in the cordless phones looking down I immediately recognized what had gave the signal, the colour GOLD with a small blackish stone right in the middle staring straight back at me :o :o :o

It was a Medieval GOLD Stirrup Ring from about the 13th-14th Century in perfect condition. I think the stone might be a small blue or black Saphire. :o :o

The Gold wedding band I found last week turned out to be the farmers were we were detecting he had lost it just two weeks after he had been married back in 1991 I am returning the ring to him tommorrow. :o :o TK.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 9,698
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 9,410
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 9,386
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 9,482
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 9,940
Upvote 6

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a BEAUTIFUL ring :wav: see this on UKDFD and i was like WTF!! and now i know who found it :o :o

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S S I looks like you have done it again , very nice ring .
Let us know the outcome if you would . It is a nice story to keep up with and gives us something to do while we wait for the rains go quit now .
But great job on finding it !

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daedalus said:
S S I looks like you have done it again , very nice ring .
Let us know the outcome if you would . It is a nice story to keep up with and gives us something to do while we wait for the rains go quit now .
But great job on finding it !
I guess you didn't read the whole thread Mate :laughing9: it's all done and dusted. The ring went through the treasure act(2 years) and it was returned to me , and I sold it for £2500 :headbang:

SS

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very sweet ring Silver Searcher. My friend found a ring from the 12th or 13th century 2 years ago. They came back with an initial eval of 1500 pounds. We had seen examples at much higher prices and he appealed the ruling. The came back with 3000 pounds and he was still not satisfied. the eval committee brought in a specailist on early mideval rings and he said " These rings in this condition are very rare and that at auction it could fetch 15,000 pounds. The eval committee finally threw out his appraisal and the final say so came from the head of state or whoever makes final determination. 3,000 pounds. But at least if is available for everyone to see.

Congrats on such a incredable find!
Chicago Ron

Attachments

• joesmedgoldring.jpg
    joesmedgoldring.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 277
  • joesmedgoldring2.jpg
    joesmedgoldring2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 324
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chicago Ron said:
That is a very sweet ring Silver Searcher. My friend found a ring from the 12th or 13th century 2 years ago. They came back with an initial eval of 1500 pounds. We had seen examples at much higher prices and he appealed the ruling. The came back with 3000 pounds and he was still not satisfied. the eval committee brought in a specailist on early mideval rings and he said " These rings in this condition are very rare and that at auction it could fetch 15,000 pounds. The eval committee finally threw out his appraisal and the final say so came from the head of state or whoever makes final determination. 3,000 pounds. But at least if is available for everyone to see.

Congrats on such a incredable find!
Chicago Ron
Thanks for the reply Ron :) what type of stone was in your friends ring :icon_scratch: was it a saphire. The one in mine was a cabochon saphire, apparently the only place these stones were available from during the Medieval period, was Cashmere :icon_thumleft:

SS

danthecanuck

Apr 3, 2011
Bloody BRILLIANT!!!!!!!...makes my finds today pale....greatly!!(but I did good!)bannerbannerbannerbanner!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chicago Ron said:
Yes it is a sapphire. He's still waiting for a check.
Yes that's typical of the Treasure act, How long did it take to go through :dontknow: my was nearly 2 years >:(

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread