13th-14th Century GOLD Stirrup Ring Updated. (Inquest Update.)..Outcome.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two weeks into a new season and I just might have found my best ever find :icon_sunny: the day started off with a phone call from my detecting partner Michael, he could not make it due to a family illness we were due to go to our usual haunt in North Yorkshire :-\

Any way I decided to go to a farm that is just 14 miles from were I live and were I have had some nice hammered, most of the land was still under crop but a small section of barley and rape seed stubble were detectable :thumbsup:

After three hours of scrap lead the odd button and shot gun catridges I moved to a ridge just above the flood plain of the river the area was very quiet , on my second run down I received a sweet two way signal in the cordless phones looking down I immediately recognized what had gave the signal, the colour GOLD with a small blackish stone right in the middle staring straight back at me :o :o :o

It was a Medieval GOLD Stirrup Ring from about the 13th-14th Century in perfect condition. I think the stone might be a small blue or black Saphire. :o :o

The Gold wedding band I found last week turned out to be the farmers were we were detecting he had lost it just two weeks after he had been married back in 1991 I am returning the ring to him tommorrow. :o :o TK.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 9,699
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 9,941
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 9,483
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 9,387
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 9,411
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 13th-14th Century GOLD Stirrup Ring

Bob S said:
Nice Ring WTG
Thanks Bob :thumbsup: just a quick update on the stirrup ring, I declared it under the Treasure act back in August and is at this precise time with the British Museum, I am hoping I should here something soon wether or not they might want to acquire it or return it to me. I have been told that the stone in the Ring is definitely a uncut cabochon Saphire and that it's value is between £1000- £1400 :o

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 13th-14th Century GOLD Stirrup Ring Updated. Inquest Update.

:hello: All

well it's been 14 months since I found the Gold Ring and I have just had to go to the Treasure Inquest :( I thought that I might get the Ring back :'( alass I was wrong :'(

I turned up to the inquest, my name was called, and I entered the courtroom were I had to swear on the Bible to tell the truth and so on ::) in short the coroner declared the Ring as Treasure Trove and refered it back to the BM :'(

So after waiting all this time I have to wait another :dontknow:

All I can tell you all is that The Bowes Museum(Durham County) has expressed an interest in aquiring the Stirrup Ring :-\ so as for the Treasure act :dontknow: doe's it work...proberbly, do you have to wait long...Hell Yes :(

SS

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 13th-14th Century GOLD Stirrup Ring Updated. (Inquest Update.)

First, that is one great find!

Second, just curious mind you, what would happen if you found that ring and decided that it fit your finger very nicely and you didn't turn it in to the government? Say some other detectorist ratted you out to the government. What happens to a Brit Citizen then?

PAUL2006

Jun 25, 2009
OREGON
Detector(s) used
whites XLT

:headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• emot86.gif
    emot86.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 4,295
  • emot86.gif
    emot86.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 4,297
  • emot86.gif
    emot86.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 4,297
  • emot86.gif
    emot86.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 4,291

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Will your name be next to it? Pretty cool to have something in a museum :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 13th-14th Century GOLD Stirrup Ring Updated. Inquest Update.

Silver Searcher said:
:hello: All

well it's been 14 months since I found the Gold Ring and I have just had to go to the Treasure Inquest :( I thought that I might get the Ring back :'( alass I was wrong :'(

I turned up to the inquest, my name was called, and I entered the courtroom were I had to swear on the Bible to tell the truth and so on ::) in short the coroner declared the Ring as Treasure Trove and refered it back to the BM :'(

So after waiting all this time I have to wait another :dontknow:

All I can tell you all is that The Bowes Museum(Durham County) has expressed an interest in aquiring the Stirrup Ring :-\ so as for the Treasure act :dontknow: doe's it work...proberbly, do you have to wait long...Hell Yes :(

SS

Frustrating I know.
You still may get it back, Museums often express an interest & when it comes to paying the back off. So fingers crossed for either a high valuation & it back :icon_thumright:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That sure is a pretty one.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

and in perfect condition too, you just cannot beat that at all. thank you for sharing too. I have found ruby,diamond,sapphire,and jade rings/jewellry, I'm still looking for an emerald to round out the collection. enjoy that great find, I know I would.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mac In NC said:
First, that is one great find!

Second, just curious mind you, what would happen if you found that ring and decided that it fit your finger very nicely and you didn't turn it in to the government? Say some other detectorist ratted you out to the government. What happens to a Brit Citizen then?
:D

Attachments

• csl0699l.jpg
    csl0699l.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,213
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
Will your name be next to it? Pretty cool to have something in a museum :icon_thumleft:
I went to the BM last year :o seen a lot of Great finds by detectorists :o Ringle mere Cup, Hoxon Hoard, ect,ect, no names to the finds :'( how very dissapointing :'( so as to your question shaun....NO :(

SS

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
I went to the BM last year :o seen a lot of Great finds by detectorists :o Ringle mere Cup, Hoxon Hoard, ect,ect, no names to the finds :'( how very dissapointing :'( so as to your question shaun....NO :(

SS

Bummer :-\

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

SS

Personally I've never like credits. You/whoever is still recorded as the finder, the records are the truth, thats all that matters. I guess if you ask for credits, they probably would do it. I would personally refuse if offered.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

SS

Personally I've never like credits. You/whoever is still recorded as the finder, the records are the truth, thats all that matters. I guess if you ask for credits, they probably would do it. I would personally refuse if offered.
That's fine :) but what about the people who don't detect :) do they not have the right to know who found it :icon_scratch: and that would give further revelence to the Finder(us in most cases) :)

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

SS

That's fine :) but what about the people who don't detect :) do they not have the right to know who found it :icon_scratch: and that would give further revelence to the Finder(us in most cases) :)

SS

In a way I agree, but all the finds are at least put in the local rag or even the national news. Many may have seen these or know how they were found but I guess for future generations it would be good to show it was at least through our great hobby.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Amazing banner find SS.!

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I'd give my left nut to find a ring like that..

Simply MUST get off my lazy arse and start doing more detecting here in California's Mojave Desert where I live.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Amazing banner find SS.!
Thanks Johnnyi :icon_thumleft: but I will proberbly never hold it again :'( :'(

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread