20th Oldie for the year

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though this year has not been a great one for the condition of the coins, it is above average for the number found so far. Today I found my 20th coin, and of the 20th, 1832 is the newest one. :)

The 1819 Large Cent is one of my most common years I have found, but they usually hold up fairly well, this one so-so condition. I rode my mountain bike to the spot and within the first 5 minutes had the two buttons and the Large Cent. All were at a old homestead that unfortunately was also used as a dump spot back in the 60's. But I went slow and got what I could from this site. Previously a nice 1775 KGIII counterfeit copper and a decent 1795 Half Cent were found there.

Finds today include a nice fork section of a 18th century shoe buckle, a nice backmarked early 1800's button and another button with some material still attached to it. The pewter spoon section was found right near the end of my hunt. The one round disc item is modern trash, but the other one I believe is part of a lead seal, hard to say, but does appear to have some lettering on it, however very faint. It could be just a flattened piece of lead, but for now I will go with a lead seal.

Don

Attachments

• Site 217.jpg
    Site 217.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 687
  • LargeCentInDirt.jpg
    LargeCentInDirt.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 698
  • coinandbutton.jpg
    coinandbutton.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 696
  • Site217finds26Aug08.jpg
    Site217finds26Aug08.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 687
  • leadsealdomedbutton.jpg
    leadsealdomedbutton.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 689
  • LondonFork.jpg
    LondonFork.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 678
  • 1819BefAft.jpg
    1819BefAft.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 682
Upvote 0

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1819 cleaned up nice there Don ... Funny how even in the sand its not in the best of conditions.

Early in spring I dug my first USA button in a sandy hill and its pretty well trashed.

Glad to see ya out huntin and finding the old stuff :thumbsup:

Derek :icon_study:

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
I used good ole cheap beeswax today. :) The coin did not clean up easily at all, took 3 baths in peroxide and lots of q-tips, when I soaked all in hot distilled water for an hour, bubbles were still coming out of the coin! But, after a good drying under a hot desk lamp, the bees wax went on well, and used a toothbrush to buff out.. :)

Yeah the heat will really sink the wax in. Coins would be a lot less stress because I hate watching my buttons while they bake. (Not that I leave them long) A friend of mine used to have good results with a little zap & wax on his coppers.

So gentlemen is bees wax the preffered wax? Inquiring minds need to know? :icon_study:

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nice finds Don! Thanks for all the pictures of the site and the "in the dirt" shots. Love those kind of pics and that LC is sweeeeet!!!
Jerry
p.s. how do you carry your detector on your mountain bike? Do you have a strap so you can throw it over your shoulder or do you strap it on to the bike somewhere?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
I used good ole cheap beeswax today. :) The coin did not clean up easily at all, took 3 baths in peroxide and lots of q-tips, when I soaked all in hot distilled water for an hour, bubbles were still coming out of the coin! But, after a good drying under a hot desk lamp, the bees wax went on well, and used a toothbrush to buff out.. :)

Yeah the heat will really sink the wax in. Coins would be a lot less stress because I hate watching my buttons while they bake. (Not that I leave them long) A friend of mine used to have good results with a little zap & wax on his coppers.

So gentlemen is bees wax the preffered wax? Inquiring minds need to know? :icon_study:

Probably several choices out there. The only thing about beeswax is it could give a very slight darker tone to the object because it is not clear. Probably not an issue on most things. I just started using renaissance wax and will continue to do so. (for small items)

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome site and awesome finds good luck your next relic hunting adventure!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,

It's been a while since I have seen a post from you. With the cooler weather upon us, it seems like the tick population has dwindled a little bit. You cannot beat the weather for detecting!

Congrats on the largie. That button is also a beauty!

Happy hunting!
Neil

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I determined the variety of this 1819 today, and was happy to see it is one that I did not have and now have half of the known varieties for 1819. (10 varieties in total) I now have two Newcomb 1, and one each of Newcomb 2,3,5 and 8. The Newcomb 3 and 5 variety is a Scarce variety.

Cleaning your ground founds as best you can to see all visible details is beneficial in allowing you to determine the variety of a coin, and thus you never know unless you do that the coin might be more valuable than another variety. This holds true for a lot of coins, the variety of the coin determines the value if you want to know that. But if you are keeping a collection of your finds, it just adds to your knowledge and enjoyment if you do attribute the coin by variety. Some coins just can not be done, due to corrosion or wear hiding specific areas need to ID, but in general a lot of the coppers can be done.

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
I determined the variety of this 1819 today, and was happy to see it is one that I did not have and now have half of the known varieties for 1819. (10 varieties in total) I now have two Newcomb 1, and one each of Newcomb 2,3,5 and 8. The Newcomb 3 and 5 variety is a Scarce variety.

Cleaning your ground founds as best you can to see all visible details is beneficial in allowing you to determine the variety of a coin, and thus you never know unless you do that the coin might be more valuable than another variety. This holds true for a lot of coins, the variety of the coin determines the value if you want to know that. But if you are keeping a collection of your finds, it just adds to your knowledge and enjoyment if you do attribute the coin by variety. Some coins just can not be done, due to corrosion or wear hiding specific areas need to ID, but in general a lot of the coppers can be done.

Don

Question... at what year do varieties no longer matter or exist? I'm talking more than just the redbook listings.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question what year does varieties no longer matter or exist, Hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe some of the "modern" coin collectors might know, but the newer a coin is; the harder it usually is to see the differences amongst the varieties, that much I know. The later year American Large Cents are rather hard to distinguish, especially a ground found. Seems the earlier years the differences were greater and thus a tad easier to distinguish the variety.
Glad you mentioned Redbook, since Redbook is only a generalized summary of some of the varieties...........I consider Redbook a general guideline book, but not for attribution of most coins for varieties.

Don

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great old finds Don. Congrats!!! :thumbsup:
You really have that button and LC looking fantastic. Very nice. :icon_king:
-MM-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, Don! :thumbsup:

My 26 oldies for the year aren't as old as your 28 oldies. :-\

My oldest copper this year was an 1818, and the oldest silver was 1774--but I count any coins in my "oldie" total--as long as they're obselete. Farmers lost those danged wheat pennies just about everywhere ::)

I'm glad it's cooler there than here--up in the 90s here again this weekend. And we need rain--badly--both for the MDing and the crops. (Last year, crops in the Ohio River Valley were a total loss in many cases--and farmers didn't cut some fields until December!) With now 130 or so sites on the books and waiting for harvest, I hope harvest comes on time this year, and planting comes late! :)

Regards,

Buckles

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Big congrats Don on another nice "oldie". Thanks for the cleaning tips as well. Happy Swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions