1854 Seated Liberty In my Backyard!!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still shaking from digging this coin..You guys will not believe this one. My 1yr old lays down for his 2 hr nap around 10 or so. I decided to go out into the backyard and do some MD'ing...I have hunted my yard with the Ace 250 for awhile. Also with the Fisher f75 in DE mode. That is the factory settings. Well I decided today to set the F75 in JE mode which is High Gain Jewelry mode. Well I wasn't out there for 10 minutes when I got this deep barely legible signal. Right next to a previous Ace 250 hole. I dug down about 8 inches and there sat this dull looking silver disk. I haven't seen many silver coins before so I was like what was this...I look down and see 1854 and I about wet my pants...I yelled out YEE HAWWW...oh yeah... I ran inside and run some water over the coin and found that it was a Seated Liberty quarter...I freaked.. It is in such good shape to be 154 years old..OMG...That is old. I hope you guys enjoyed the story and the pictures...Also my house sits atop our citys old Fairgrounds so hopefully the Metal Detecting gods will let me find some more old stuff back there...Enjoy.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 824
Upvote 0

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fantastic find ! awesome story and a great backyard :thumbsup: goodluck and keep us posted ! congrats :headbang:

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
mpostma said:
OH Yeah!!!!! Congrats!! Nice Coin. Oh, and I have a pair of wire cutters for the neighbor's satelite. You are welcome to borrow them.

Ha ha! That would be tempting!!

Nice job, zaxfire69!!

dt

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Your house sits on the old fairgrounds!! That would be my dream location. I am still trying to get permission to hunt a 75 yr old, since abandoned fairgrounds near where my Mom lives. I would be out MD'ing 24 hours a day. LOL

T.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet seat! (say that in a movie theater ::) )

HH
-GC

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
just take about 3-4 inches off the top and tell the wife your gonna put down new sod. 'course the ground will need to settle for a week or two before you can lay new sod :wink: LOL nice find!!

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ziphius said:
Hey, that's a great find! Congrats! What were you running your sensitivity at? I see big differences between 60 and 70. I can go up to 85 if there's no electrical interference around and the soil has little iron.

At the time, I had the F75 in Je Mode and sensitvity at 60...As far as the Neighbors satelite..I wouldn't touch it. They are older folks. Nice folks. It just is my luck it is pointing my way. I can hunt in De mode all day with the sensitivity on 80...The mosquitos are so bad with all the rain we have had you can't stay out long. Maybe when this Hurricane comes through and blows them away it will be better out in the backyard. Thanks for all you guys nice comments..It really made my week...

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Congrats to you on that sweet find! It's always a blast when you take a leap of faith on those iffy signals and pop out something great, hopefully there's more waiting to be found out there ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Plehbah it is an honor to find something like this. I am going to keep this one for sure. I need to put it in something to keep it out of the air though. I don't want to clean it anymore than it is. I have it in a ziploc right now. She is just sitting under my Microscope in the bag. 154 years underground and still looks that good. Man wow...All I can say. And heck no I ain't buldozing my yard,,,,Well maybe a few feet at a time. I went back out a little while ago and found some nails and a round rusty object in the same dirt as the coin. Somebody point me to a post on how to build a sift...I will do a few feet at a time. Metal detect find a few targets scoop some dirt sift see what happens... ;D

CHughes77

Jul 24, 2008
New Castle,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w\ Sunray X1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o GREAT FIND!!!! I cant wait to find my first seated! Still has some detail to it as well!!!

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
All right that does it!!!!!! where are ya??? I'm coming over right now dog-gone-it!!!!!!!! now I will cry!!!!!!!!! Congrats Dude!!!! you broke a mile stone!!!! HH, QUICKSILVER(appletree)

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quicksilver come on over. You are a long ways away from me though. I went out yesterday evening for a few minutes. Mosquitoes are carrying me off. Just a couple of nails. I will keep working the yard though. Thanks everyone. I will find some more stuff for you guys.

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
Ive been in a older yard lately myself and its been crazy I slowly and tediously went inch by inch over grids of this lawn.

Went back a week later and found out that since i pulled trash and it rained or something the mercs started comming up and so did the wheats.

Go figure.

LT

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zaxfire69 said:
mpostma said:
OH Yeah!!!!! Congrats!! Nice Coin. Oh, and I have a pair of wire cutters for the neighbor's satelite. You are welcome to borrow them.

Fairgrounds!! My Favorite. Congrats again!

Mp

Don't give me any ideas...You guys think I should grid the area where I found this coin. Take the grass off the top, scan...Dig a little deeper, scan again..And so on..What would you guys do?

You need to dig every faint beep--and grid in several directions. Unless you use super low discrimination, you won't get maximum depth with a Fisher.

Excellent Find!

-Buckleboy

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Awesome seated quarter you have found!!! :thumbsup:

Are you sure your neighbor's satellite dish is causing your machine's interference? Satellites dishes like DirecTv or The DishNetwork are only receivers. They receive the signals from satellites in space. They don't transmit. Transmitters are the culprits which will cause your machine's interference.

Congrats again!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread