1829 Caped Bust Half Dime

saysitall

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2008
Sioux City, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Well, I finally found a rare coin! It's n 1829 Capped bust Half Dime in really good condition.
I took my Minelab XS down about two blocks from where I live to a big field where an old drive-in movie used to be when I was a kid. Before that there was a very old Interstate race track.
It's pretty tough searching because the grass is only cut high and there are a lot of stiff weed stems to deal with. Anyway, I was searching along when I got a really good "Silver" signal. It was only about 2 - 3 inches deep (not counting the tall grass/weeds). When I dug it up, I could tell it was silver, but only much smaller then a dime.
When I wiped the dirt off, I could tell it was old, but I didn't have my reading glasses with me (left them in the truck), so I couldn't make out the date. When I got back to the truck and put my glasses on....boy was I surprised!!!

Attachments

• 1829 Capped Bust Half Dime.jpg
    1829 Capped Bust Half Dime.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 985
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice coin man,

I'd get back there in the fall.

HH Jer

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Coins. :thumbsup:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Absofreakinlutely Gorgeous!! Nice Job. What a great find!! Know anyone with a brush hog that would be into a midnight run?

Congrats again!!!
MP

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Such a beautiful coin. I hope to be as lucky to find one some day.

Way to go!!!!

:wav:

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Holy cow! That half dime is even sweeter looking than the "35" i posted a while back. They are beautiful coins and yours is probably a $150 coin in that condition. Congratulations!!!!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Beautiful! I've been fortunate to find three half dimes, but none of them were a bust. That is one sweet coin!

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out here on the west coast, coins like that are only found in coin shops and in our sweet dreams!

Way to GO!!!!

Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sweet find. That is a rare one. When you say you finally found a rare coin - I am curious to know how long you have been hunting? I have found only a couple coins in 5 years that I would consider moderately rare.

Bob

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Sweet find. Man that is an awesome find. Great condition on that one. Might want to get that slabbed. :thumbsup: jgas

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
very nice...in fact that's beautiful. I've been doing this for 20 years and I never found anything like that..Congrats :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread