SILVER THREE PENCE 1762

PANNONIAN

Jan 6, 2007
Clifton, NJ
I work in construction. I allways seek permission from the homeowner,to search the property. Most of the time they give me the OK Today was such a day.Boy I'm glad I did! Found only one silver at lunch time,but this made my day. First I thought this is a worn barber dime,. But after turning the coin over,realized this is something better. And when i saw the date I've got the chill! Private property is the way to go! Good luck to you guys! Pannonian

Attachments

• detecting pictures 003.jpg
    detecting pictures 003.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 709
  • detecting pictures 002.jpg
    detecting pictures 002.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 717
Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's an ol piece of silver you dont see every day. Great find!!! :thumbsup: :o

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
That's a good ole silver and kind of an oddball find in the US. :thumbsup:

I would consider it a oddball in the UK. We have never found one of these early 3 pences & as a collector of British coins it very difficult to find these early dates at all! Although this one is a more common date & not worth a great deal (in the UK anyway) its an extremely rare find (IMO).

CONGRATS!!!

That's very interesting. I never would have suspected it was such an uncommon find there. What is your ratio of Geo. III shillings (1787 type) to those of late Geo. III 1816/1817? We have never found any early type but quite a few of the later ones. Judging by how many of the early types are for sale I'm thinking they must get dug in the UK.

No not really. I can remember 1 & I have loads of the later.

Hmmm.. Now that one I would have never suspected. There seems to be just as many of each floating around so funny the ground is such a different story. As I said I find it very interesting what shows up and what not.

One last one... 1797 Two pence. The three of us here have found many of the pennies but Romeo was the first to dig a Two. It was so drilled in my brain one couldn't be found I looked at it that day in the field and said cartwheel... but went away thinking hmm that sure looked thick. (And you know what a big difference there is between the two) Of course once we got back it didn't take long to realize what he had.

2 X Two Pence & several One's

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A " CHILL"
I'd pass out

Great Find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet your still smiling

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Yea! Pannonian, WTG !!! I am really happy for you to have found such a historical British coin here in the United States. The coin is a very nice example too. You make us proud with your amazing find!
By the way, I'll bet most TreasureNet readers don't know what Pannonian means. I've collected coins for many years, so I know something about the ancient Roman Provinces. Ancient Pannonia comprised mostly what is today the countries of Austria and Hungary. Does that have any relation to your TNet name?

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double Dying Chick fit for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa