Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

In all the years I've spent metal detecting, this is a first! Last Saturday I posted about finding a sterling souvenir spoon from the 1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair. It was a great piece of history and I couldn't have been happier.

A couple of nights ago, I posted a find (from another yard in a different city) on the What Is It? section of TNet, which PBK helped me to identify, which I found just 3 days later (Tuesday).

After being shown a photo of what this "thing" originally looked like (I thought it was a kid's badge at first) curiosity got the best of me and I decided to scour the corroded metal with a soap pad. I also put the piece in boiling hot peroxide for about half an hour and I was able to see the image I hoped for..I thought the corrosion was eaten into the metal, and it was, but only up to a point. The surface corrosion was removed, and although it was necessary to rub a bit of the image down, I can now see what was on there. What I still can't believe is that I found 2 Worlds Fair Items, both marked 1904, in less than a week. That, to me, is nothing short of unbelievable!

Here's the spoon once more, and before and after shots of what I found on Tuesday.

SPOON3.jpg

SPOON2.jpg

THING2-1.jpg

SPOON1.jpg

And a link to the What Is It? post that shows what it looked like way back when (scroll down to PBK's 3rd post). Thanks again PBK!

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,177797.msg1296161.html#msg1296161

Nat

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very Cool. It is remarkable that you found that stuff within a week of each other. I love those world fair items. I found one from the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago. Mine was found some 200 miles away from where it took place. I imagine people would find more of that stuff near the city in which it was hosted.

Bob

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mirage said:
Very Cool. It is remarkable that you found that stuff within a week of each other. I love those world fair items. I found one from the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago. Mine was found some 200 miles away from where it took place. I imagine people would find more of that stuff near the city in which it was hosted.
Bob

Thanks Bob! Actually my math is a little off on my title..I found them within 3 days of each other (the spoon on Saturday and the medal on Tuesday). Both were apparently souvenirs that were taken home as mementos. And you're right, the majority would be found close to where it was held..it's very uncommon to find one that far away.

Neil in West Jersey said:
Nice finds!

Are you detecting the old fair grounds?

Both of these were found in private yards in cities within 20 miles of Forest Park, which I believe is where the Worlds Fair was held..I've heard that park has been heavily hunted for years, but I haven't made any trips there yet.

THANKS ALL :thumbsup:
Nat

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet bud!!! :thumbsup:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Nice digs!! I'll have to dig out my crappy spoons and post them.. they will make yours look mint out of the box!!!

MonkeyBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread