Recent summer finds

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
I spent the summer in Kill Devill Hills, NC on the beach. On the 4th of July My family and I were on the beach about mid way between Avalon Pier and Nags Head Pier so we could see the fireworks from both places. While the show was on I noticed that there were thousands of people on that narrow strip of sand watching the show as well.

The wheels start spinning....Hmmm...All these people here in the dark, somebody has to lose something tonight. So On July 5th I hit the beach before the sun and the other treasure hunters and my first two finds were these rings about 10 feet apart. Well I'm blinded by the shine of the rocks and run back to the house to show off my good fortune. The kids are excited, My wife is excited, then my sister in law says they are beautiful and fake.

What? Turns out, I never bothered to look for the hall marks that are not there. Oh well, Unless I have a pro confirm they are fakes I can still believe they are real. Right?

Even if they do prove to be fake I won't mind too much - for me it's the thrill of the chase that counts most .

DSCN2389.JPG DSCN2390.JPG DSCN2391.JPG

Upvote 0

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Corolla Light Area in OBX and a ring is a great find anytime. AND TWO....wooohooo

SKD

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...but the RUSH you had when you found them is priceless! Hope you found lotsa clad that day, too.

Born Free

dex378

Dec 1, 2007
Foxboro, Massachussetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The easiest way to tell if a stone that big is real (pic on right) is to look for inclusions in the stone visible to the naked eye. Look for black spots (carbon) or cracks or small air pockets. If it has any of these, its a real diamond. If its flawless its 99% of the time its a fake (cubic zirconia , glass etc). No one creates a fake stone with inclusions. Hope its the real deal, great find regardless!

OP
OP
*Dig-Dug*

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
Thanks for the info DEX. I'll take a look at it the next time I get to the storage lot. Being a relic guy I know very little about Jewlery so I'll take all the tips I can get.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
They are real pretty rings OBX!

Jewelry is mostly for fun... who cares if they are cubic or not!

Go for the fun factor!

rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread