Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to an old timer several months ago who described where a stage coach line ran and had a rest stop on some property adjacent to my hunting lease. I had talked with the owner and got permission to MD there. It was so grown up I had trouble figuring out how it was laid out although there were several old foundation stones apparent. I sprayed down with Cutter's insect repellent and waded in. It was tough going but I got several hits on likely targets at or below 8 inches. Then the ground was so hard and dry I couldn't dig them with the tools I had with me. Looks like this site has potential but will have to wait until fall or winter when the weeds die out and I can see what I am doing as well as get enough moisture in the ground to make it easier to dig. I found several fairly large indentations in the ground scattered about and at first thought they might be sites of outhouses or a cellar but there were too many of them. In talking with the locals I found out they were most likely old buffalo wallows which predate the arrival of the white man on the scene! All quite interesting since there hasn't been a wild buffalo here for nearly 200 years! I dug a few shallow targets which were mostly pieces of barbed wire that may have been part of the corral at one time. I also found a half rusted away .32 Winchester Special rifle case that would date about right for the stage coach era. The .32 Winchester Special was originally a black powder round, later a smokeless cartridge that is all but obsolete. I also found a large caliber lead bullet nearby but lost it somewhere in the weeds. Don't think this "junk" is worthy of photographing just yet but will go back this fall and see what else I can dig up. JIM

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an exciting site to hunt, hope you get back when the conditions are better! HH, Mike

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I went to the site with the intentions of just surveying the conditions and to see if I could make sense of the remaining foundation stones.....I couldn't! ?Just too much foilage and bugs. ?There were 3 very old and large oak trees right out in the middle of nothing which I probably can assume was shade for the station as it gets really hot there in the area in the summer. ?They were the only real trees about the area except for some cedars which are more recent. The large oaks were in a line which was probably part of a fence row as trees are often found along fence lines. ?Can't tell for sure but should be able to scope it out much better when the weeds and grass die out this fall. ?JIM

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jimmy, do you know of a site where you can view the area via satellite pics? I'm fortunate as I have a site to view all of Bavaria via satellite pics, semi decent, it helps a bit when surveying a site but not much. Sometimes I can make out where a building once stood. HH, Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great Jim, cant wait to see what you find!

HH

lonewolfe

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest: