1850s college finds

dieharddigger

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/E-Trac
1850's college finds

I haven't posted in a while. Looks like everyone is finding some cool stuff. I hunted a local college that was founded in 1852. The place is used for retreats,meetings,weddings and the like. I have permission to hunt as long as nothing is going on. This weekend was an open door. I went Saturday afternoon for a couple hours. I had high hope's as this is the place where I found my first large cent this spring. I hunted an area that is wooded with some open area's. Wasn't getting much,then i pulled this out from 8" down.
010.JPG
It's brass and someone took some time to engrave a cartoonish looking dragon on it. After that I pulled out the horn.
006.JPG
Sunday morning I went back for a couple hours. I hunted a strip of grass in front of one of the buildings. After some junk and clad,I hit the navy button.
002.JPG
Then I found this cool button. I.D.'d by Montana Jim and PBK in the what is it forum.(thanks)
003.JPG
Sunday afternoon I went back and found this junk jewelry and a 42 wheat.
010.JPG
Like i didn't have enough Sat. and Sun. I had some time to kill before the family get together today,so back I went. Tried a different area this time. First find was the 1921 penny,then the broach and a 29s wheat. This area has a bunch of maple tree's and it's like digging through a net of roots. That's my excuse for nicking the penny and the wheat.
006.JPG
Hope we get some rain soon,the ground is like powder in this area.
You have to dig some junk to get the good stuff. This pic was after I threw out a pile this size of foil and slaw.
004.JPG
Good digging everyone and I hope you find what your looking for!
Steve

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 597
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 0

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1850's college finds

wow, nice finds! especially that navy button, thats a beauty, wtg! hope you find more there, looks like a good spot, HH

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT

Nice finds. Good digging to you as well.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

I like that broach and that LC is sweet!! :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice finds. I like the horn.
Dman