Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a place near Baton Rouge this weekend looking for some civil war stuff and had a great time. Its taken over 4 years to get permission to hunt the land. And they have LOTS of land. We arrived and had checked out maps of the area and where several thousand northern and southern troops had camped and crossed their land. I had visions of stuff everywhere but that will take some time to find all the right places. We started and quickly hit several places trying to find something that would give us a clue. The first day nothing too much was found. The second day the landowner told me there had been a railroad just across the road from their house a zillion years ago and I ought to check that out. So with the day topping out at 95 degrees and the humidity the same, I started down the edge of the field. Not much was showing up, some iron stuff that I couldn't identify so I kept it up. I started to notice some handhand bricks scattered about near two huge old trees and I thought there may be something around here afterall. I got straight across from the house and had a signal that showed iron but it had something else in there with it. I dug my hole and ran my Uniprobe in the dirt, got a signal and pulled out a small piece of iron. I ran it back in the hole again and sure enough another signal rang out. I pulled what I found out of the dirt and it was coin size. Coins were the fartherest thing I thought I would find but cleaning off a little dirt I saw the date 1852 and my wife could have heard my holler 250 miles away. I was floored! I spent 8 hard hot hours that day until I couldn't dig any more. I'm sure everyone knows how that feels when its blistering hot and you've sweated out your body weight twice in one day. I finished the day out with a couple of interesting things but nothing like I had hoped to. Nevertheless, that one coin made the trip worth while!!

The good thing about the trip is we have permission to return. They were great people and they haven't given permission to anyone before to hunt so we were the first. This area will produce so many great finds once we narrow down all the places, I can't wait to go back again. Life is good !!!

Thanks for looking!
Steve

Attachments

• DSC02974_edited-1.JPG
    DSC02974_edited-1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 773
  • DSC02987.JPG
    DSC02987.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 779
  • DSC02982.JPG
    DSC02982.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC02983.JPG
    DSC02983.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 760
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
great hunting steve.u really worked 4 it. u shure had ur timing down to a t. head down to louisiana.score a great coin. leave just before heavy weather.am i right in betting uda stayed another day except 4 the weather? once u get it cleaned up bring it along to cth2.id like to see it in person.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
What a great day!! Well other than that heat and humidity and sweating part....but still WHAT A GREAT DAY! ;D ;D Congrats on the cent!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Congratulations! Nice coin. It's a great feeling finding your first LC. I would have to say you earned it. 8)

Bob

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!

Now get in that housesite iron patch and get those flat buttons and suspender clips!

Glad you got on a good spot and beat the adverse conditions.

:thumbsup:

-Buckles

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STEVE!! :o Life IS good! :icon_thumright: What an awesome find! And sounds like a site that'll keep you busy for a while! 8) Good luck on your return. Can't wait to see what else you find there...

Congrats~ Nana :wink:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
congratulations on the nice large cent. there is nothing like finding old coins, the feeling is pure elation. I hope you get many more.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
That's a great way to start. Congrats
I bet you'll find plenty of bullets, buckles and other good stuff there too

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice greenie just wish I had one to boot. HH

fonfixer

Feb 18, 2008
blanchard, la
Detector(s) used
dfx
Steve buddy that IS A REALLY COOL FIND!!! It beats Jake's Indian Head by a long shot. Four years in the making makes it a really sweet reward don't ya think? I believe they have better stuff in the ground down there than we have up in shreveport.

Catch you later,
Fonfixer

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, sweet looking copper.

As far as the sweat, I have on an occassion or two have used the sweat off my brow to clean a coin enough to
reveal the date.

Good luck,
HH.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful old dirty coin! Never found anything older than the 1906 IH penny, but it ain't for the lack of looking. I need to broaden my horizons... I'm working on it.

Great find,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread