My first Hard Times Token - 1837

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not had time to post lately so these finds are from three hunts over the last few weeks. The sites include a park that was established in 1895 and a private home site that I'm not sure of the date but has produced some old large cents.

The first picture shows my keepers minus a pile of wheats, three beat up Indian heads and the clad.

P9011013.jpg

There are two cheap pieces of jewelery including a Yankee's charm (with how bad they are doing my theory is this was not lost but thrown) and a butterfly pin which is not marked. The coins include a 1908 Barber quarter (a first for me), a 1837 hard times token from Henry Anderson Shoe Store (another first for me), a 1944 silver war nickel, a no date buffalo nickel, a silver Roosevelt dime, a nice 1895 Indian Head cent and two modern foreign coins (Canada and Peru). There is also a 'W' from a printer, part of a silver plated piece of flatware and some sort of key hole plate. There is also a beat up Charms Coin with Theodore Roosevelt on it.

I really enjoyed finding the token since other then modern kid tokens I have never found any. It was an added bonus to find one that is dated. I keep hitting this one park at lunch time and it seems to always give up something and I keep thinking there must be a large cent somewhere in the park. I thought this was it when I first dug it. I'm sure there is one out there but I'll take the token for now.

There is possibly an interesting story behind the printers 'W' which I'm still researching and contacting a few experts on. If it turns out to be what I think it maybe I'll post a separate topic with the details.

Here are a few close ups...enjoy.

1837 Henry Anderson Cheap Boot Shoe Store in Chatham Square New York
P9011018.jpg

P9011019.jpg

1908 Barber Quarter and 1895 Indian Head Cent. The quarter was maybe 1/8 under the ground where the kids play football so it was pretty scrapped up when I found it.
P9011020.jpg

P9011021.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

NJ

Upvote 0

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Nice finds, Jersey. Those Barber Quarters are hard to come by any more and a Hard Times Token in decent shape is a really rare find. Congrats.

Bob

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Congratulations on the hard times token. I tried to find my book to look it up in, but I'm remodeling my hobby room and can't find it. Nice assortment of finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
AWESOME ! NJ Ther !!!!!!!!!!!!! SWEET Hard Times Token !! :thumbsup:

Derek ;D

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hard Times Token, HT #219, Low # 107
Description
Obverse: Leather boot with the words "Henry Anderson, Mammoth Boot, Chatham Square, N. York". Reverse: "Henry Anderson, Cheap Boot & Shoe Store, Chatham Square, New York, 1837".
General Information
Rarity R-2 common, composition copper, size 28 mm.
A relatively common token in circulated condition but relatively scarce in Mint State.
Great finds in any case.
Don.......
Sources:
http://www.hardtimestokens.com/HenryAnderson.html
http://www.shawneecoin.com/library/ht219.html

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, Hard Times tokens are not found too often. I remember when I found my only one many years ago, I thought I had another NJ copper, since I saw a plow, but then I realized it was something totally different. Mine was a 1835 Walsh's General Store token.

Don

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the kind words and information.

Don in SJ - I'm still looking for my first NJ copper but I have a gut feeling this maybe the year. I have a few sites I've been holding off on until it gets a little cooler that have potential for colonial era coins.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread