Another Oregon Trail Find

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
I'm collecting evidence that an old trail west of Topeka, KS is the Union Branch of the Oregon Trail. Today's find is a piece of antique jewelry that I found near the trail ruts in a wooded area that has never had a house nearby. The broach was in pieces when I dug it up from about 3" deep. The metal shows signs of violence as if a wheel ran over it or a horse stepped on it. There's no other reason for it to be in pieces. I glued it back together and I think it dates from the 1800's. If anyone has a more recent estimate, I'd like to hear it. The metal is brass and the 'stone' is an imitation of some kind.

Attachments

• Trail Jewelry  5802.jpg
    Trail Jewelry 5802.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 728
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doug Mauck

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
I'm hoping that this piece is part of a spill of some kind. I can't see a woman wearing a broach like this on the trail. Maybe a box or sack was dribbling articles as the wagon rolled along.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds, I envy you hunting that old trail. What kind of a detector are you using?

I am including a picture of an old broach that I found here in Ohio back in 2006. A lot
of people said it looked like the one that the lady threw off of the Titanic. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Best Blure Saphire.jpg
    Best Blure Saphire.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 670
OP
OP
Doug Mauck

Doug Mauck

Sep 7, 2004
Topeka, Kansas
There are no marks of any kind on the metal. Here's what it looks like super-glued back together.

Attachments

• Trail Jewelry   5803.jpg
    Trail Jewelry 5803.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 697

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That looks like a really exciting FIND!

I'd like to see a better assembled photo...the stone has a great purple tone in the 1st photo. I tried correcting it but couldn't.

I know nothing about antique jewelery ...just enjoy seeing some of the finds on Tnet.

HH Joe

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
wow very nice indeed.. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread